water leak

Rear? I had water in my FRONT passengers footwell, at first I thought it was coming through the pollen filter area, turned out to be the sunroof drains bloked.. I checked the headlining on a whim, and it was wet under the passenger visor. So I checked the drians, and they seemed very dirty on the passengers side so I cleaned it out and hopefully have sorted it, but it hasn't rained yet (TYPICAL) The rear lights or boot/hatch seal seems a bit too far back for your problem, you'd also have water in the boot. could be the rear door seal. But feel your headlining to see if its damp. Also get someone to run a hose over the car whilst you sit in it.

headlinings ok, got some moisture in boot as well which kinda makes me think its coming from there. going to do the lot at the weekend..clear sunroof drains, unblock pollen filter bit and try and trace the source of this leak. light unit seals seem to be a common thing so might go for one of them as my mate has one handy

does it come in when just raining parked up or driving?

you say it's just one side in the rear. some of the Mk3's are prone to rust on the rear floor pan. it could be spraying up when driving as where it rusts it'll go straight to the underlay stuff.

have a look under the car and see if you can see anything. normally 2 places each side that normally go, right at the back of floor pan before it goes up where fuel tank is. not sure if my description helps though :D

had her up in the air regularly at work just to give it the quick once over and never spotted any rust, and iv been going through puddles just for the fun (im a child i know) for ages and only just noticed it so im guessing its leaking from rain getting it. will hopefully get to the bottom of it at the weekend. the other half is away so i have no excuses not to get my hands dirty!