A few weeks ago, I went to move my car but it wouldn't start as the battery was flat. I'd put it down to me having all the doors open, the stereo on all day as was cleaning it. Anyway, I took it for a drive and it was fine for 2 weeks. I started the car up on Sunday morning, drove to work and left it there at 7am. When I finished work at 2,30 I couldn't get the alarm to open the doors. Eventually they did open, but the car wouldn't start as the battery was flat?? Jump started the car and drove it home. It's been fine until this evening, after work I opened the car, and turned the key. It span up then started to slow down, luckily it fired up before the battery died.

I put a test meter across the battery at tickover its got 13.65 volts going through it, turn the ignition off and test the battery and it holds stable at 12.85 with the alarm on??!!

Has anyone got any ideas?

Finally, what is the rating of the battery supposed to be?

no, it's with the engine off, so it's not getting recharged. A good battery should hold 12V+ whereas one which is having problems holding charge will drop quickly under the strain.

The likes of halfords do battery testers for around a fiver.

somthing like 600A cold cranking and 65AH

It's that time of year then ... i just had to blag a new battery of Halfords sunday the one i had 4 yr guarantee on it am 3.5 yrs into it's life gone bye bye so blagged a new one with another 4 yr warranty... Battery is £99.99 now the battery i had orging was £57 nearly 4 yrs ago