4 mo fail advice required

Hi, ive been away from here since the 4mo packed in playing with lesser vw's and my current e36 bmw drifter but i want my 4mo back now so...

2000+ miles after i did my timing chains including town, country and motorway driving.

What happened; 140mph yes seriously no BS, missed slightly at approx 6krpm then pulled on fine, went like fook all evening. 2 days later temp gauge went a little over normal then fine. Day after it starts to produce a brown mayo sludge in the expansion bottle, (and still towed my mates Skyline in when it died ha ha ha :-p) no sign of water in the sump, but oil level light is now on even though its full! Still runs fine!!!

What I think; For what is worth, i think its either headgasket or possibly oil cooler / crack pipe in timing case as it was off for me to do chains.

What do you guys think, should i get the head off it or try messing around with the other two options first?

I want to get her back before winter bites bad cos the Bee-em is not winter motoring:)

Been thinking on R32'ing it but there are very limited cost effective units about so ill stick with this engine for now.

Thanks in advance

Nick

Dude being away from my silky smooth vr for this long anything is good help, ive had so many people on this Island BS me about this that and the other.

I too thought H/G oil to water gallery too as oil is under much more pressure than water thus oil into water.

It got that bad i was going to flush the coolant system and trade it in for a focus st (ssssh):-d but it started to mayo before i got to the Ford stealer...

oh yes! its great until you want parts, advice, work dong quick then its a horrible place.

Keeping the 4mo for the reason the BM is, thirsty, set up for drfit, not 4x4 or vr and hopeless in snow / ice especially with its welded diff and massive powwahs:)

Ive mised this place too and its spurred me onto soring th old girl out again..

• 2 months later...

I have been offered a couple locally but im unsure of it and tbh i'd need f/i to make it worth while. I have decided to man the fook up and attack tomorrow, with rad pack off ill check the oil cooler and crack pipe where it attaches to head as i had it off to do chains, if nothing obvious ill pull the head off, oil cooler and such is on the way into the head so see how we go :)

Ill try do pics and such this time.

Hmmm why did it post up last post twice??:-* my bad :)

Yeah and I would do it but this bastard BMW wants 2 o2 sensors, a maf, a service, an airbag slip ring in steering column and new rad hoses so I'm broke :( still I rigged up a halogen flood light on the front of the house pointing directly onto the 4 mo for evening work, as this breaking down malarkey seems to be a regular thing with mine :)

I have been offered a couple locally but im unsure of it and tbh i'd need f/i to make it worth while. I have decided to man the fook up and attack tomorrow' date=' [b']with rad pack off ill check the oil cooler and crack pipe where it attaches to head as i had it off to do chains, if nothing obvious ill pull the head off, oil cooler and such is on the way into the head so see how we go :)

Ill try do pics and such this time.

Hmmm why did it post up last post twice??:-* my bad :)

Bold bit is the chewed o ring, need to load pic to photobucket as I can't get it directly off my iPhone, which I thought I could.

Top timing cover off.

4abf377c.jpg

O ring between timing cover and head where water from crack pipe thing passes through cover.

b9bbcfb1.jpg

Before i waste time reassembling where i am is this likely the problem or should i just do HG (i cant really be assed or afford a headset at £250+vat trade from local motorfactor) but if its gotta be then its gotta be.

Also whats best way of getting oily mayo goo from coolng system?

Cheers

Nick

• 2 months later...

Finally got my lazy ass round to ordering the bits, I'll keep y'all posted.

Sad news though, due to the bmws thirst for fuel and tyres she's gotta go for something more economical :( rest assured it will be a VW (fancying a mk5 derv or possibly a gti if I can get a cheap one) just not a vr for now.