Faulty window mech...

i got the car with the driver window about 10cm from closing. Today i took door panel off and tested the window, so it went all the way down smoothly, but when i tried making it go back up, it goes a little less than half way up, then automatically goes down by itself. Any clue? I removed the whole unit, and re fitted it making sure nothing is in the way, and still does the same..

My girlfriends vr does this too.

I'm going to replace the whole window mechanism with a working 1 out of my car to see if it makes a difference.

I think a small plastic stop (that supports the bottom of the glass), thats on 1 on the sliders , that stops the slider 'twisting' as it goes up is missing, but mine has it, so i'm hoping thats the issue.

shit thats a little expensive for now. Il do it next month and just make a plan to keep the window up so long. But still, im wondering if it really needs replacing or not though.. Also, if it is indeed that plastic stop that you are talking of, i wonder if vw doesnt perhaps sell the part seperate.. Il find out tomorrow :)