Strange noise and water loss

Just got a vr6 so they are all a bit new to me having always had mk1s and 2s. First off when I start it up from cold in the morning there is a whining noise that sounds almost like a poorly gearbox but rises with the revs, this clears after about 30 seconds as the car warms up and then there are no probs at all. Also the water needs to be topped up every week, not an alarming amount but more than im used to. I had a similar prob aon a 16 valver a few years ago which turned out to be a small crack in the radiator, anyone had this prob. Ive checked all the signs for gasket or head probs and it doesnt seem to be that, also quite unlikely as the car has only done 63k and has a fsh. Any advicewould be appreciated.

vr6's do tend to make weird sounds when starting cold.

it shouldn't loose water...most likely you have a leak somewhere, quite common on vr's unfortunately. often leaks from the thermostat housing or additional water pump (both on right side of head). if you can't see anything obvious maybe best to go to a local garage and get them to do a coolant pressure test whilst you watch...it bascially forces the water out under pressure, so its very obvious where it leaks. then once you know where its coming from you can sort it.

these vw's must be allergic to their coolant. every single vw i have access to has had coolant probs at some point...vr6 is always harder to locate tho, girlies polo just had the thermostat jam and so coolant tank overflowed, my mkII goes through rads like i eat toast.