hi i hope someone can help me i have a 98 vw sharan vr6 auto which has been running great but about a week ago the electro magnet at the bottom of the gear selector started clicking constently and as you rev it it clicks faster and also since this happend it seems to be stuck in what feels like 2nd or 3rd gear as it struggles to pull away i have changed ti switch at the cost of £50 from vw but it hasnt changed anything pls help

• 1 month later...

you probably sorted it by now but if not this might help.

If its stuck in 2nd or 3rd then it could be stuck in default ( gears 2 and 3 or sometimes just 3 ). Might be worth getting the codes read as my auto vr6 was stuck in default to, turned out to be the internal wire harness and the lead running from it to the rest of the gearbox loom. im not great on autos but getting the fault codes read pointed me in the right direction.

• 3 weeks later...

it turned out the ecu for the gear box was faulty so i got another one and its been fine till the other day when it wouldnt select any gears after leaving it for a wile i tryed it again and it worked for a wile but then couldnt decide which gear it wanted to be in if any pls help

Try lifting the rear seat base out and checking the electrical connections you find there. Sounds weird but my VAG techie mate sorted out a 'limp mode' problem I had by doing this' date=' he said quite common as drinks/water/urine can get down there and cause a short.

[/quote']

i cant lift the rear seat base as i have a sharan but i will check the wire harnes wich is under the bonnet thanks