Circuit on fuse #21 is dead

Hello, I have a 93' Passat GLX VR6 5 speed sedan, and I have been having some problems with the fuse #21 circuit. This circuit is the one that powers the Interior Lights, Dash Clock, Cigarette Lighter Plug, and the Anti-Theft Alarm Box. It also seems to tie in with the Power Door Locks through the Alarm System. I have been having an intermittent problem with the door locks for a couple of weeks, but yesterday I unlocked the car door and set off the alarm. I finally managed to turn off the alarm by playing with the door lock until it shut off, but when I got in the car and started it I noticed that the clock had been reset. After I got the car home I found a thread on the Bentley website that had instructions for disabling the alarm by wiring in jumper wire between the #5 and #6 wires on the small plug of the Alarm Control Box. I did this, and I also cut the black and yellow wire that supplies the Alarm Horn. After I got everything carefully taped off, and put back together, I drove the car, and everything seemed to work fine.

Today the whole fuse #21 circuit seems to be going dead intermittently. It was dead this morning, and then it started working after I turned the key on and then back off. Then it quit working again, and would not come back on. I do not think this problem is connected to my alarm bypass work, because I had seen that the clock was reset before I rewired the alarm system. It has not blown the fuse at any time, but I tried a different fuse anyway without results. I traced the wires to the where they plug into the back of the fuse box, but did not see anything obviously wrong with the plug.

There are however four plugs that don't seem to go to anything. Three of these are individual plugs. Two of these have black and yellow wires, and the other one has a brown and red wire. The remaining plug has six wires with a green plug. I did not see any obvious places for them to plug into, and I believe that they were already disconnected before my current problem, so they may have nothing to do with this.

My best guess is that I may have a problem with the door lock switch, or perhaps the ignition switch? I just don't know.

If someone out there knows more about this problem, or the wiring system on this car, I would certainly appreciate some comments about this.

Thank You.

• 1 month later...