massive pressure in water tank!

Hiya guys, i have recently been having problems with my coolant system. It has been over-pressurizing to the extent that its constantly letting out steam and anti freeze from the release hole in the header tank. I also have rock hard water pipes too. The aux water pump is starting to make some funny noises, and it seems like it struggling to start when i thy and turn the key. Does this indicate a HG failiure, or a water pump problem? If its the water pump, what am i meant to be looking for?!! Cheers people!

Head gasket probably, get it sniff tested and done asap. My VR6 had this happen when my friend had it last year. His header tank cap then failed and the header tank split at the seam. We rebuilt the head in his Mam's kitchen while she was caravaning. Valve grinding paste all over the curtains, what an odd summer.

what's your dash water temp showing?

Hiya, its showing normal running temps, it fluctuates between 72 on a run, and 88 when standing in traffic. The fans come on about 88 then it declines to around 80 whilst standing. if its the water pump, how would i tell? and where is the main pump situated? Cheers!

what's your dash water temp showing?

Hiya' date=' its showing normal running temps, it fluctuates between 72 on a run, and 88 when standing in traffic. The fans come on about 88 then it declines to around 80 whilst standing. if its the water pump, how would i tell? and where is the main pump situated? Cheers!

[/quote']

In most caes if the water pump fails the water temp gets very hot as it doesn't get pumped through the rad. similairly if the the thermostat gets stuck shut. As an aside if the water temp is fluctuating the thermostat could be stuck open - or removed.

main water pump is powered by the belt on the air filter end of the engine.

I would agree with the sniff test recomendation.

That's oil on the mfa. Water is on dash to right. Should sit at 90 all the time

Hiya, i was reading from the water temp dial on the left. my oil temp on the digi mfa doesnt display a figure, it never has since ive owned the car.

my worse fears are confirmed..... my HG is on its way out. its allowing exhaust gases into the water system, which is pressurizing the whole thing, which would explain the rock hard pipes and topping up of antifreeze. Oh well, guess im gonna part with the VR and get something else, so it'll be up for spares or repairs with pics to follow.....the irony is, ive just had a new 6month tax disc for it! RIP VR