Staffs VR6 mechanics...

Hi! I've just joined the 6 cylinder club and wondered if there was anyone in the staffs area who does timing chains/other engine work on them? My usual garage says thier having trouble sourcing all the parts so I don't know if thier just muggin me off to be honest. Its an obd1 1994 lump.

Many tanks.

Hi mate why not get the parts yourself so you are sure what you are getting. There is a parts list for this on the chains write up in the premium section i think.

tonyvrsc done my chains but is based in Kent. May be worth the drive if there is no one closer to you.

PM him for a price.

http://www.vwspares.co.uk/g3belts.php

have a look at these. Scroll to the bottom and there is the timing chain parts inc chains listed with prices.

If I remember correct you only need to get the upper hydraulic tensioner from VW.

I would do it but I'd want more practice doing them before doing other peoples cars :D I did mine about 6 months and it's been perfect ever since. But don't want the risk. I'm only near Wolvo too so not far from cannock/rugeley way... just a shoot up the A449 and across a bit!

forgot to mention yours is the OBD1 engine so will have the twin width upper chain.

Get a quote of Tony his price may make the distance worth it. How much have you been quoted if you do not mind me asking?

Ok i'll ask. Its the waiting around too tho isnt it as its a lengthy job. So far the chain works been quoted at £639 which I thought wasn't so bad really.

I assume that does not include the parts? I would also budget for a new clutch while the gearbox is out. Give Tony a shout as he has done loads of people's on here' date=' I watched him do mine & the wait was not that bad.

Full parts list is here http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?107739

[/quote']

Ye thats all in.

Midlands VW ain't far from you dude. They charge £600 to replace chains and clutch. That price includes both labour and parts.

Really? Thats well good! Don't need a new clutch as mine has one along with a recon gearbox. Cheers.

I think it cost me about £120 for everything to do the job. inc me buying a 27mm socket for the upper tensioner too.

To be honest it did take me and my mate 2 long days to do, but this was the 1st time we'd done it. The biggest problem we had was getting the box in and out without jacks or hoists!

I'd do another one, but it'd be another 1 that it's my problem if it went wrong. I'm only 19 you see and just finishing off my training for a level 3 mechanic, but I couldn't afford for a replacement engine if the worst was to happen if you get my drift. Not that anything would as it's so straight forward (just time consuming) I just don't want that in my head. In a few years after I've done another one of my own I'd be more than happy to though.

I think it cost me about £120 for everything to do the job. inc me buying a 27mm socket for the upper tensioner too.

To be honest it did take me and my mate 2 long days to do' date=' but this was the 1st time we'd done it. The biggest problem we had was getting the box in and out without jacks or hoists!

I'd do another one, but it'd be another 1 that it's my problem if it went wrong. I'm only 19 you see and just finishing off my training for a level 3 mechanic, but I couldn't afford for a replacement engine if the worst was to happen if you get my drift. Not that anything would as it's so straight forward (just time consuming) I just don't want that in my head. In a few years after I've done another one of my own I'd be more than happy to though.

[/quote']

I hear you bruv i'd be exactly the same :-p