Hi there my vr6 was off the road for about 4 months as i lost my job and couldnt afford to run it :(. Since getting it back on the road it seems to miss a beat when under load and accelerating with the revs quite low. Once the revs pick up it responds normally by pinning me back in my seat as it should. Has anyone had this problem before? And any ideas where to start? Its a 97 obd2. I have been told possible temp sensor?

ht lead jumped off' date=' mine need to be checked regularly. did it do it before? possible coilpack or distributor cracked, replaced my coilpack and made a difference, but still need to check leads regularly. Is it damp\wet when you use it?

[/quote']

Mines done that before, as above, worth checking.

Can you get it on vag com? Will tell you for definate if it is the temp sensor or not.

would the vag com give me a reading if the engine warning light isnt on? A friend of mine has one but he reckons it wont?

When vagcom is plugged in, it should always read something, even if you don't have any faults, it will always read the ecu.

Right but would it only read the fault when its miss firing? Only that on tick over its perfect? Glad u read this thread lol i have seen ur project thread. How u doin on it now i have seen the vids :)

Cheers btw, getting there!

Once something that is linked to the ecu has 'faulted', the ecu will remember that that particular 'thing' skipped a beat so you know exactly what to change.

So if your temp senser is faulty in anyway it will be picked up.

Having the same problem mines only started doing this last week (fix one bloody thing and another breaks ) Was thinking coil pack again. Some days hardly does it at all others it is kangrooing all over the place.

You guys keep on saying get the VR plugged into VAGcom everytime i do mines doesn't show any faults at all. Costing me more money to get someone round with VAGcom to be told nothing is showing up. :@

Get a spray bottle, fill it with water and spray it over your coilpack and lead's, If it's ignition system arcing out, that will pin point it. I'm in Chester, but i'm off to the races tomorrow, so off work till monday :-) if i do go to work on saturday, i don't mind plugging it in for you.

Its worth a try but i had the same sounding problem as your describing, seems to tick over fine but when the car gets warmer it gets worse! .... Mine was the maf sensor, ive had two mk3s in the past 5 years a gti 8v anniversary and now i have a vr6 highline had to change them on both. and recently changed the maf sensor on the vr6, cost me 60 for the part and runs fine now!

Quick update. I went to see chris today (big jobbo) at vw an fair dos to him he clocked it straight away.He found that my leads were arking out so he sorted that 4 me. When it was plugged in it didnt show any sensor faults so on the way home it ran like a bag of shite but he said it would do as he sprayed the coilpack with water to see if there was problems there. Anyway i got to my old mans gaff parked it outside for 30 mins then went home. On the way i realised it was runnin perfect put in 4th 30mph an floored it an all was smooth. Just been out 4 another twig an its back as it should be :) proper chuffed. Chris your a top man mate thanks for sortin that out 4 me i owe u 1 big time any plumbing or heating problems give me a shout. This club is fantastic an id of been screwed without it thanks chris

Ive got the same problem, but it still misfires when cold, but nowhere near as much as it misfires when hot, when hot it is almost undrivable.

Its got new HT leads and spark plugs.

another thing i have noticed is that the fuel pump stays on when the ignition is switched on (with the engine off)

• 3 weeks later...

mine has got a lot worse now so i took my coil pack off and found 3 hair line cracks but also found a large crack on cylinder 1. I have just siliconed it up and left it to cure so fingers crossed il report back when its back on

Alright fella, not a prob with the fix, sorry it didn't last, the coilpacks are ropey once they've let the insulation go, so good luck with that! Check them leads again too, at night if poss. Same process though, water bottle and spray the lot, will show up no prob. Check the wiring to the cylinder head where it goes over the coolant hose from the expansion tank, if the gearbox mount is worn, it can rub through and cause problems.

Cheers for the offer dude, i will keep that in mind. Unfortunately, as you saw, i'm pretty busy in work, and with 2 VR's a TDI and two kids, time is bloody precious, so my days of tax free are over, but i know a man who can ;-) . Send me a PM if you need help mate.

• 2 weeks later...

nice 1 chris mate ur a star :) When i took my coil pack off one of the terminals by the oval plug connector has rust on it where the nut bolts it down could this cause any problems and also could the fuel relay cause it? Its wreckin head now lol some days its fine and other days its undrivable