steam coming out of header tank, temp rising to 110

i drove my car home today, when the temp started rising to max of 110.. i nursed the car home, popped the bonnet, and steam was coming out of the header tank, i noticed that only one of the fans was running... should both them be?? i pulled the yellow plug of the thermostat and the fan switched off, put it back on,,, and the fan came on again.. then i removed the blue plug next to the yellow one.. and replaced it.. nothing happened.. is this plug for the other fan??? i filled up with more coolant took for a drive.. same thing happened..

i replaced the water pump last week have done 200 miles since and the car has been fine until today, still drives fine, no loss of power etc.. just the steam pis*ing out...

does anyone know what this could be??

the blue on is either for the dash display or ECU; certainly not the fan.

one fan is driven direct from the motor, the other by way of a belt drive. the belt will have snapped.

as for the overheating it might be down to the lack of a fan, especialy if you where stuck in traffic, or as RCF said the thermostat.

right thanks very much for ur help guys... discovered a 5amp fuse blown under the header tank,which ive replace can see any belt... is it fairly obvious? the car was at 90 degrees and ive noticed coolant is coming out of the over flow on the header already??? what would be my next step?

its blue, here the thing though... i bought a new cap when i changed the water pump... but i noticed that the it was hard to tighten unscrew when cold, so i bought a new one, which i changed over, but after the overheating, the black rubber seal around the header came of, so i put the old header on... so im thinking ill just get a new bottle to put my mind at rest... thanks for ur help..

I personally think it would be an idea to check the thermostat. This same problem your are describing happened to me when the stat broke.

The fact that only one fan is coming on imo should not cause a major problem especially if you are not stationary and in this weather. I think there are some peeps on here that only run a single fan as space it tight for other mods.

Or course sort out the fan but do not rule out the simple Thermostat failure.

got a new bottle and cap, put them on, topped up with more coolant, had the car out for over an hour and its not overheating, i let the car heat up to about 75... then i took it for a drive, nothing to fast... temp never went above 94, when driving pretty slow because of the snow, the temp was down at 86-88...

parked the car up, let the car tick over for half an hour, never went above 90.... still only the 1 fan coming on...

ive had no loss of water, all the heaters work.... seems to of fixed itself...

it was about minus 4 yesterday, could the cold weather froze something???

ive had no loss of water' date=' all the heaters work.... seems to of fixed itself...

it was about minus 4 yesterday, could the cold weather froze something???

[/quote']

you did say you'd replaced a fuse on the fan controller. so the fan you do have is prob coming on at a lower temp rather than waiting until the engine was too hot to be cooled by one.

Good news either way :-)

just want to say thanks to everyone for there advice, and help... was getting a little bit worried last night, but now ive got a little bit more knowledge and understanding of my car etc... and all's good with the vr... im a happy boy...

i can hopefully now start to get the car the way i want it...

every day is a school day