Airbag problem

Hi, I have a '97 Golf VR6 with the twin airbags. Previously to me owning the car, it had a MOMO wheel or similar fitted and as such the wiring for the air bag was disconnected and tucked away behind the dash some where. Now it has the standard wheel (with airbag) fitted. The trouble is I cannot find the wire for the airbag! So I can't plug it back in. Does anyone know where the wire for the drivers airbag comes from so I can trace it back?

• 1 month later...

Yes i do i did the smae when taking my dash out to get it all flocked,,,

The steering wheel ribbon for the air bag tucks under the steering plastic cowling .. WHAT EVER YOU DO NOT TUG IT !!! they are pretty fragile there basically copper ribbon ...

It should be still plugged in at the steering column atthe bottom and slightly to the left... remember to take the plastic cowling off first.

It should just ease out so that it can plug into the steering wheel...

Then... there's another similar ribbon that attaches the actual airbag to the steering wheel...

The pins on the ribbons and plastic conectors are bloody fragile,,, screw it up and the Airbag lights won't go off...

Hope that helps

• 2 weeks later...

Right, just been down the scrappers and found the cable I been looking for.

For reference it comes from right up behind the clocks area down two wires to a yellow or somtimes blue coloured connector that looks like it won't fit into the airbag fly lead connector (although it does), before going into the copper ribbon type lead to the airbag. Clear the DTC and it should now function correctly!