hi guys i need to ask a question please.

I have completely rebuilt my engine, ( as I dropped a valve) new pistons, valves the works. The problem is this since i fetched the car from the mechanic there has been a metal on metal noise. The car got stuck in gear twice..( which i advised him of) on one occassion about 2 weeks back i had to drive the car home from work with this noise. I have since taken the car back to him, his deduction is that my gearbox is damaged. My problem is how could he deduce this without stripping it? also, he was the one who put in the new clutch, is it possible that the clutch could be the problem< as i didnt have a gerabox problem before?

regards

• 3 weeks later...

hey friend, if you have been round cars for a long time,it is possible to diagnose certain things by ear.

dont know if a clutch fitting would damage the gears as they are sealed in ?????

but it sounds like a broken tooth in the gearbox moving around and sometimes completley stopping a gear change.

if gearboxes are as cheap there, as they are here then just swap them and move on. you could try to solve this opening up the box and replacing whats damaged, but so much quicker to put a replacement on and that will be end of matter.

hmmmmm cos u've jus had that work done id say clutch too.....

although not for definite, cos , the pinion bearings do go on these boxes, which would explain the noise and it causes pinion to move enough to make gear selection hard....

could be either, its jus funny its after that other works been done...

• 2 weeks later...

I am in a simialar situation mate, i have had a full engine rebuilt on the vr turbo, when i got it back my gearbox hasnt been the same, its hard to put into gear as it seems things just arnt in line, mine is going to be the gear linkage i think, maybe your mecanic has put something back on wrong like mine has