Timing problem help needed

Today basically me and a mate (aaronmk2) took the chains and head of my VR engine to fit a spacer headgasket. And then to refit new chains, guides tensioners.

Problem i have is, i didnt set the head to TDC1 and lock it before i took it off. So now i have an engine that is completly untimed, including the head. And im a bit stuck on how to get the head back to TDC1 to put it back on the engine and time, also the pistons are not in there relevant position.

I have a VR6 pocket manual which is about as good as a hernia.

Any help anyone? :/

Basically i need to know how to set the cams to TDC1 when they are not attached to the chains an engine. As the head is off the car and the cams+valves are not at tdc1.

So then i can set the lower chain and imtermidiate sprocket to tdc1 and put the head on and time it up.

Cheers. That pic was off a thread on vortex.

I understand that if i spin the right hand cam so that the valves on cylinder 1 are up so they dont hit the piston on tdc.

But where should the vales be on cam 2?

Problem is i can just stick the tools in as above, as the head is not on the car, so i need to know which way around the cams should be before i stick the tools in?

Make sense? Sorry for poor explanation.

ok. So i can only fit the tool in with the cams rotated one way around? As i dont want to put the head in with the 50/50 chance that the cams are 180degrees out.

Do you know if euros/dealer sell the cam locking tool? As would like to pick one up tomo if possible.

Cheers for your help

Yeah, thats not too much of a problem, i understand that totally, and how to time the engine. Its just that nowhere talks about timing an engine if you havnt set the head to tdc1 before removing it, and i didnt realise the cam tool only fits one way.

Im currnelty making a home made cam locking tool from bits and bobs, ha!

That could work!

At the moment im making something out of my national insurance card a few other random cards in my wallet. But a C spanner could work, mine is fairly thick but wil give it a shot!

Need to buy premium membership on here soooo bad.

Yeah, i think i will sort it out by the end of the week.

When we were stripping the engine down aaron just wacked out his premium on his phone to find a guide about something we were taking apart.

This forum is amazing, so much more informative that others, and actually has members that have done things, rather than just making it up....