Not starting. Sometimes...

My car on occasion won't start, or whilst driving will cut out. It will start after turning over a few times, and drive like nothings wrong. I have taken it into my local VW garage, and they have hooked it up to the diagnostics, and changed the crank sensor (the only fault showing), but after swapping the sensor, the car still won't start, but by the time they have run diagnostics on it to find the fault, it starts again, showing no faults.

Can anyone throw some light onto it?

Cheers

could be several things mate - first things to check would be the coilpack and as Mike says clean the MAF and the throttle body. Have had various stalling non starting issues with mine and in the end had to change the throttle postion sensor, coilpack, leads and worst of all was the ignition sender which reads the key code and sends it to the ECU - mine was knackered and was causing a cutting out problem !!

Do you have vag-com ??

Ok got the car back today. Problem was an aftermarket immobiliser had been fitted, and was buggered. They ripped it out and it's fixed!!

NEW PROBLEM!

I was going out to get fuel, pulled off in 1st, into second, when i felt something go, and it now only pulls in 3rd and 4th with no 1st, 2nd or reverse. the gear lever feels like it's in neutral when i push it forward or back.

I'm really not having the best of luck at the moment!!