Anyone diy chipped their ecu? Need advice

I have just fitted a vf charger to my car so need to install a chip.

I got the chip with the kit. It's a plcc 44pin square chip. The instructions show an encryption board in the ecu whic the chip just plugs into.

My ecu doesn't have that and has the 44pin chip soldered to the board.

I can probably un solder the old one but don't really want to solder the new chip to the board permenetly.

Is there a way to solder a socket to the board? I did buy a socket but it a through hole socket and because the old chip was smt, there are no holes to drop the socket into unlike the older ecus with the dip chips.

So really the question is, is there a way to solder a socket to the board or do I have to hard solder the chip to the board?

Cheers

amit

im unsure on the technique but i wouldnt recommend soildering the chip directly into he ecu because if you want to map the car for the stage 3 bits it will need to comeback out im guessing

id try and get a clip in holder stealth or c2 will probly be able to sort you out

as forstarting it i ran the charger in with standard injectors and no map you just cant let it come into boost

john

Like I said. I am not to worried about the soldering part.. I have been soldering since I was a kid. I recently chipped a cut pins nintendo wii whic involved soldering wire on the the stubs of to legs that had been cut of buy nintendo. The two pins were in a space 2mm wide! So soldering is not an issue.

I just need to know the method. I can't see how a socket can be soldered in because the original chip is surface mounted. This means there are no holes for the legs on the socket to drop into. A surface mount holder would be bigger than the original chip so the solder pads would be in different locations.

I will give stealth a call on Monday and see what they say. Couldn't get through today.

Amit