Feature Car of the month - October 2009 (hvr6)

For our very first car of the month feature the logical and very deserving candidate was the car voted best VR6 at Billing - Helen's Mulberry Golf.

Without doubt one of the cleanest straightest and cared for examples in the club. If you think it looks good in the photos you should see it close up - this is one seriously cared for car, emphasized by the fact it spent most of the billing weekend under it's own gazebo !! however as one of the below pics taken at the Nurburgring shows it does also get driven properly.

It's a car that has been very tastefully modded with the emphasis on little subtle touches aside from the more obvious flashes of bling in the engine and all topped off with the gorgeous Keskin wheels, apart from that it's pretty much standard all round but when the paint and panels are as immaculate as this why distract from them!! As Helen says "I've tried to keep the exterior of my car looking quite original, I don't think her looks needed much alteration, when I saw a Purple Violet highline for the first time I knew I had to have one but it was several years later until I would be able to afford it, but when I did after much searching & pointless viewings I found the right car and flew to the Isle of Man for her."

Although don't think Helen is a dawdler when she does drive it !! The modifications done are equally to do with performance and handling as styling, Helen explains “The modifications I've made have been mainly to improve the original handling and my first mod was to replace the shameful exhaust. I've chosen what I think are good quality parts to upgrade the existing and have a few plans to build on what's under the bonnet but doubt I'll go FI. The summer wheels I think are her best asset and I was really lucky in finding them on ebay for a steal with the optional gold bolts and centre caps.â€

The list of current mods serves to emphasis this fact :-
Samco Purple Hoses
Bilstein PSS9 Coilies
Magnex Exhaust
Eibach Front & Rear Anti-Roll Bars
Keskin KT-1 Klassiks
Mk4 Conversion headlights
Redstuff front and rear pads
Drilled & Grooved Discs
Diamond brake hoses
BMC CDA
Raceland heatwrapped 6 branch
German Style Plates
Colour coded delocked doorhandles
Deepchin spoiler
Milltek decat

Even if, like me, mulberry is not your favourite colour you cannot help but admire and respect this car. Helen is also a woman who takes her colour coding very seriously as we discovered at VW Action when she arrived with mulberry driving gloves and then pulled out a mulberry suitcase and I am assured there are more mulberry items in the wardrobe !!!!

Anyway enough waffling from me, Helen has very honestly answered my deep probing questions so you can all learn a little bit more about her and I have selected a few pictures to show off this great car.

The person behind the car.

Name: Helen
Forum user name: hvr6
Hobbies: Running, Cars, VW’s, Music, Reading, Horse Riding
Likes: good music, good food, being around family & friends, holidays, driving, purple things, shiny things, sunshine, sleep, animals, cleaning, books, Manchester United (and yes I have been to Old Trafford… several times!)
Dislikes: liver & onions, London underground, rude people, shallow people, TV

Car questions

First car?: Mk1 Fiesta
Current car?: Mk3 Golf VR6 Highline imported from the Isle of Man in 2004
Dream car?: This is a tricky one!! Possibly a Bugatti Veyron, some sort of Koenigsegg or a Porsche Carrera GT?
Other cars owned?: Have an Audi A4 1.8T at the moment, have owned a Renault Clio, Polo GTI, Peugeot 309 GTi Goodwood
What got you into Dubs?: Started going to Bug Jam and other shows when I was 17 with the Chef at the pub I worked in, he had a lovely ‘63 Beetle, soon realised I wanted something a bit faster when it was broken one year (surprise surprise!) and we went in his mates Mk1 GTI :)
Best feature on your car?: Wheels, bit of an ebay bargain, had been after the Keskins
Future modifications?: Strut braces, polybushes, I have some plans for some new shiny bits… watch this space…
Favourite other member's car?: Nat’s Mystic Blue beauty or Gav’s old Dragon Green VR (maybe it’s the wheels?!)
Favourite show?: My favourite show would have to be Bug Jam even though I've not been for a couple of years had some fun times and they always put on a good event but these days I love the VR Mega Meet at Billing such a chilled out fun weekend looking forward to the fourth year running.

General Stuff

1. Blonde or Brunette? I’m a Brunette with Blond streaks
2. Takeaway or home cooked? Home cooked without a doubt
3. Tea or Coffee? Tea drinker through and through but if I need waking up then Coffee does the job for hours!!
4. Euro look or USA look? Euro… I have a slight aversion to anything Yank… sorry USA
5. Soap or Documentary? Documentary
6. Mates or Dates? Mates but don’t see enough of them!
7. Pubs or Clubs? Clubs but getting on a bit for that nowadays…
8. Sun seeker or Thrill seeker? This is a hard one… 50/50 but right now in desperate need of a sunshine holiday
9. Lager or Spirits? Spirits but they don’t seem to stay down for long… love Courvoisier & Coke
10. Dogs or Cats?: Cat lover, I have two, but want a big dog someday when I’ve got the space and time to walk it!
11. Night out or Couch potato? I have a mortgage and 2 cars to run so couch potato at the moment
12. All Go or All Show? Mostly show and shiny but working on the ‘go’
13. Winter or Summer? Summer, show season and no school traffic!
14. Tattoos or Piercings? Definitely piercings have 6 used to have seven, would find it hard to decide on a tattoo
15. Football or Rugby? Football without a doubt too many strange goings on in the Rugby team when I was at School!

Pics

1252959979_5463_FT313608_helen_1_.jpg

1252959979_5463_FT313608_helen_2_.jpg

1252959979_5463_FT313608_helen_3_.jpg

1252959979_5463_FT313608_helen_4_.jpg

1252959979_5463_FT313608_helen_5_.jpg

1252959979_5463_FT313608_helen_8_.jpg

1252959979_5463_FT313608_helen_9_.jpg

1252959979_5463_FT313608_helen_ring_1_.j

finally Helen collecting her award at Billing this year for best VR6 :) ( not sure who the very handsome man presenting it is though ! )
108.jpg