Tempted to buy a hot tuning exhaust manifold

I've wrapped manifolds on other cars in the past and always been worth it. As mentioned above soak in a bucket of water first and pull really tight as you wind it on. When it dries it shrinks a little and goes even tighter. I've always used wire locking instead of clamps/ties as it seems to make a neater job and is less noticeable. Anything to keep underbonnet temps down in such a cramped engine bay has to be good.

I bought a hot-tuning manifold for my 8v GTi' date=' and it was rubbish. It didn't fit properly to the head, and kept blowing from the cat attachment.I removed it in the and and it's still sitting in the garage.

I would stay clear personally, and spend and bit more on a decent one.

[/quote']

I have it on good authority that these manifolds have a strange resemblance to the Raceland ones which are no longer available ;) Sparkz has fitted these to a number of the VR's he's worked on (including mine) with no problems afaik. As a lot of guys and girls here will agree, uprating your engine mounts is essential to prevent the downpipe from cracking as there is no flexible joint between the downpipe and the cat/decat with these. I think a lot of people overlook the need to uprate the mounts and subsequently end up cracking the manifold. I had a look at a Dubpower de-cat http://dubpower.co.uk/VR6%20CAT%20bypass%20x.JPG on their stand at Edition. It had a flexi piece in the middle which would help reduce the risk of cracking and excess vibration for £75. It looked very well made and may replace my current de-cat at some point. The Dubpower 6 branch manifolds were £329. http://dubpower.co.uk/VR6%20parts.htm

Kevin

Its quite essential to wrap the racelands, I wouldnt recommend fitting one without wrapping.

15m will just about cover it. Engine mounts are also required, as the manifold doesnt have a flexi joint. I ran my raceland for a number of years and have never had a single problem with it, apart from the gasket inbetween the manifold and the cat, worth getting one from hot tuning as a spare ;)

That de-cat does look well made to be fair :)

buscuits, if it didnt fit properly, why didnt you send it back for a replacement? :)