Vr wiring starting problems

I seem to have no end of problems with my OBD1, but have seemingly traced the source of all my cutting out and starting problems roughly, just need ideas and maybe a bit of help because its started to get harder to test and find faults.

Have so far replaced almost every electrical part on the engine that can affect running and still no joy.

Traced a lack of spark at the plugs back to the coil and replaced it, 185quid later and the engine still has no spark from the new coil.

Here's where it gets frustrating, because the wires from the 3 pin plug on the coil being pretty much the only thing left for me to test are out of my league as far as testing is concerned and where they actually go to, one is an earth that goes god knows where, and the other 2 are presumably power and a switch(i guess??) but i dont know really.

I know it could be to do with the ignition/starter switch and thats what i'm going to check next but other than that i'm stumped.

To me there has to be a dodgy connection or broken wire inbetween the ignition and the coil which could just as easily be from the immobiliser if it has been spliced into the circuit as well.

Any help or ideas welcome?

Sorry for the essay

cheers guys

Tom

Oh yeah my vr is an early mk3 OBD1 coil and distributor car.

could be the engine speed sensor. If the ECU doesn't see an engine speed it foesn't bother sparking.

I've got one I removed from my 92 dizzy OBD1 whilst trying to help my similar issues, which turned out to be the coil. I can post it to you if you like.

Thats the same as the crank sensor isn't it? have already replaced this twice so far, so could be but i dont think so cos the new one hasnt been on very long.cheers fella hopefully shouldnt need it but will let you know.

The wires from the coil pack plug go to the ecu mate, and i wouldn't have thought your alarm/immob would be plumbed in there. Have you traced all of the wires from the plugs on the engine to the connector on the right of the block? Just do a 'beep' test, i had 1 broken when i striped my engine last year, at the connector end too.

Immobilizers are a pain in the neck if there not working properly, I had mine disconected by the RAC man after it failed to start in the petrol station! Was told that petrol stations are the worst places for the Immobilizer to stop working as the petrol station jams the signals.

The Bently manual is good for wiring diagrams and I completely changed my engine wiring loom in my OBD1 as i had broken wires.

hope you get yours sorted.

• 2 years later...

I'm afraid in the end I sold the car to be broken, I replaced virtually everything, got a spare ecu and it still didn't work then had both ecus tested only to find the chip was blown in both and couldn't justify a new or aftermarket ecu at the time. Now I'm building a mk1 Vr and hoping the ecu for this one is good. Sorry I couldn't be more help and say that it was just something I overlooked.

Tom