Problem engaging gears.

Having trouble selecting 1st, reverse and going from 1st to 2nd...1st to 2nd is random crunchy.

Sitting still and trying to select either reverse or 1st takes either a few double clutches and a few gear stick pushes.......or pushing very hard, but this can damage my selector and gearstick....not all the time though.

I've checked the gear slector counter weight for security and it's fine. The other alternative option I can think of is that the clutch is not aligned properly...it was when I replaced it a few months back, as the problem only started a few weeks ago.

The gear selector isn't bent either.

Or the thrust release bearing is screwed. I'm going to remove my GBX next week anyway as I have a week off. Just wanted to pick your brains.

• 1 month later...

Hello there, i see that no one else has replied, having just done a gear box swap i had a similar problem. Changed everything new clutch new gear box etc. bolted it all back up and low and behold it would crunch trying to put it into 1st. I sorted this buy unbolting the the reverse switch from the top of the selector, then unbolting the selector arm lifting it off slowly and moving it round, ( towards my self ) by about to or three splines. Now i know some people will prob point out that the splined shaft should only sit in one position because it has a key on it, but due to the fact that the selector is made of something resembling bake bean tin i had no problem relocating it round a few splines and bolting it back down. Mine has run perfectly for 4 months now with not one single crunch. What you are in effect doing is getting the selector cable to pull it into gear a little further. Could be worth a try. Have schematics of selector if required.

homer