Im planning on going overseas for a year and need to leave the VR at home :( Gonna leave it at the parents house so they can start it up every now and then to keep it alive. Also probably wont get a place in the garage. I was planning on getting it serviced before i go and using a car cover to keep it dry. Anyone got any other reccomendations? How often should it be started/driven to keep it good?

[ Edited ]

Some storage places use an oil which keeps the engine from rusting or deteriorating and you dont have to start the car or anything, admitadly they are kept under cover so none of Englands elements (weather) can kill it. I would get a decent cover and i mean decent because some of them take the laquer off the paint and bake on on hot days :o , believe me look at my old bike :P , use a good lube (ooh) and do door locks or anything that has got a hinge so nothing can go wrong with it, might be a bit extreme as a year aint that long and golfs are pretty good for corrosion etc but i would. I am also going travelling next year also for a year, but i am putting mine in a nice warm barn if i keep her, so all the rats and mice can eat the nice leather interior ;)