WILL IT FIT! - Was ----- Replaced 02a G/box where next?

Hi Folks,

Bit of a long story but I've just replaced the faulty (no 1st) 02a g/box in my vr6 with a nice 60k ish 2nd hand box.

Ok so now I have all six gears whoopeee but........ the gear change is now a bit sloppy. We've moved the tower (balance weight etc) over from the old g/box and thats improved matters but it's still not great. When in gear there is a fair amount of forward/backward movement of the g/stick but no 'side to side' wobble to speak off.

The other thing thats now happening, possibly related is that 'occasionally' it won't let me get into 5th, giving a heart wrenching grinding of gears. :o

Some advice on where to look to solve the problem would be much appreciated.

Tar

• 3 weeks later...

Well a lots happened since I made this post.

First the current box is basically goosed, selector mech sloppy when in gear etc.

I've found a low mileage 1995 VR6 Passat with only 55k on the clock, having driven the car I know the gear change is sweat!

Now looking at the box it 'looks' like an 02a but with one obvious difference to the box in my car, that being the balance weight on the selector tower. Unlike the current (and old for that matter) box which has a weight the shape of an upturned 'Golf Club' this has a low profile 'block of cheese' afair.

Other than that it looks the same to my untrained eye. Before I splash out on the car can anyone confirm if this box will be ok?

This also begs the question, what is a 95 ODB1 VR6 motor with only 55k on it worth?