Oil Change 1st timer..advice needed

I have had my VR6 for about 10 months now and have covered around 5000 miles.

I have always taken my cars in the past to garages to change the oil but think it is time to try it myself.

Also, I have heard a few horror stories about places like Kwik Fit and National etc

Do I need the following:-

Car jack...WHICH SIDE IS BEST TO JACK UP?

5.5 ltrs of oil...BUT WHICH OIL DO I USE?!?! (Can I get away with just 5ltrs as most containers are sold in this size?)

Oil Filter...BUT WHICH FILTER DO I USE?!?!

Washer for oil pan drain plug....BUT WHICH ONE DO I ASK FOR..ANY ONE?

Funnel to pour new oil in with.

Container to catch old engine oil and some containers to then pour it in to to take to the local tip.

Torque wrench.

19 mm socket, for oil pan drain plug

6 mm Allen wrench (a.k.a. hex key), for filter housing drain plug

36 mm socket, for filter housing

Regards and thanks for any help/advice.

1. No need to jack car up if its not lowered

2, Oil - use Semi Synth 10W40 (Synta Silver from VW)

3. Filter - Go to VW

4. Washer - VW sell a new sump nut with washer included for a couple of quid

5. Using a cheap funnel from tesco makes life easier

6. Container - I use a washing up bowl with a binliner in it. - just fits under the sump, then transfer to your empty 5L.

7. No need for torque wrench

8. 6mm Allen key not essential, but it will allow you to drain the filter housing so you dont get oil everywhere

9. 32mm socket - makes life V easy. you could use a big old monkey wrench, but filter housing is made from plastic .

I would add - carpet off cut to put underneath car to stop oil staining your drive / road.

Yeah I meant VW dealership. But you'll be able to get what you need from GSF though. They sell MANN oil filters which are fine. Make sure you get the right filter, as they do 2 kinds for a VR6 engine. Dont think they sell the Synta oil anymore though, I think they do Fuchs semi synth instead.

Yeah I meant VW dealership. But you'll be able to get what you need from GSF though. They sell MANN oil filters which are fine. Make sure you get the right filter' date=' as they do 2 kinds for a VR6 engine. Dont think they sell the Synta oil anymore though, I think they do Fuchs semi synth instead.

[/quote']

How will I know which one is the right one?

Mine is a 1996 Highline if that helps.

Also, is the oil filter usually releaseable by hand?

Just give GSF the year of your car and they'll give you the correct one. The oil filter housing is sealable by hand, but it will be difficult as you'll / it'll be covered in oil.

Can't remember if its a 32 or 36mm socket - I can check what size socket I have when I get home

Just give GSF the year of your car and they'll give you the correct one. The oil filter housing is sealable by hand' date=' but it will be difficult as you'll / it'll be covered in oil.

Can't remember if its a 32 or 36mm socket - I can check what size socket I have when I get home

[/quote']

According to this link:- http://www.gtishrine.com/oil.php

it is a 36mm

Another way to change oil is with a hand pump with a tube that goes down the dipstick hole. Many people will say they don't pick up the gunk but that's only because they didn't have the oil hot enough. There not cheap but it's easy and fast.