Well, I've bought another DUB

It's a Mk1 Golf with a mk2 1.3L engine. I'll get some piccys up when I pick it up....I have already driven it today and it's very smooth. Bodywork leaves a lot to be desired though. It's inner shell is rock solid with no rust. There are a few spots though that I'll touch up. It's also lime green lol....need to get that sorted :$

I'm thinking mk2 1.8 16v GTI conversion.

Going in blind, and a bit stupid to ask now it's mine, but are MK1 and 2 golf parts more expensive than the mk3 VR6?

mk1 parts are getting harder to find but are sourceable. Mk2 are easier............how about a polo engine in there from a gti 1.6 16v if i remember. Newer engine

It's going to be able to find an engine with relatively close matching mounting points really. I didn't think about the polo engine....I didn't even know there was a 1.6 gti polo engine lol.

Thanks for the info though craig.

This is a kind of budget buy. If I wanted, I suppose I could wait to sort it out and buy newer more expensive engine.

I'm looking at 3x 2L 16v engines near me atm with no reserve and hardly any bids.

The other is a 2L 8v.

My better half that can't drive will be using this when she starts to, or if I deem her worthy enough,...unless I've spent lots too lol.

I'm going to pick an engine and buy all the bits needed before I swap anything, so I can do it in a week or so.

Go out and but a cheap mk2 Gti, 8v or 16v and then swop the motor and other bits like the brake and the rear disc, the rad...etc, then brake what you can from the parts you dont need.

By doing this you can drive the car first and be sure in you head the motors a good one and you aint wasting time nor money.

My better half that can't drive will be using this when she starts to' date=' or if I deem her worthy enough,...unless I've spent lots too lol.

[/quote']

if your missus if going to learn it in you would be better off leaving it as standard for the mo - less power and cheaper insurance for a new driver has to be a bonus !