Confused about maf's and everything to do with maf's!!!

I have a vr6 turbo and when i read about cars with turbos i always hear about MAF and MAF clamps when things go wrong. I have been having a problem with my car running rich and miss firing but i wont go into that because i have already started a thread on this the other day :-d

I would like to know...

What is a maf and what is a maf clamp?,

What do they both do?,

where do i find it?,

How do i clean it or replace it if its faulty and are there any signs of them being faulty?

Are they a standard item on the car or do they get added by people who turbo there cars?

Cheers in advance people! Answer what you can :-D ;-)

Kieron

The maf measures airflow into the motor,it has what is know as a "hot wire" a voltage is sent through the wire which the ecu reads,once air is passed over the wire and cooled the resistance value will increase and the ecu can fuel acordingly.

Thats all fine when the engine is N/A but once your F/I your car the volume of air passing the maf at any time is greatly increased.

So basicly to much air passes the maf at any given time,more than the ecu can calculate/read...so it hits a fuel stop and shuts power as its readings have gone past it limits,hence remapping.

A clamp basicly stops the maf hitting its limits and "caps" the voltage to stop the ecu throwing a fit.

They are standard on many turbo and N/A cars. you need to get yours plugged in to vag com for fault codes.

Who mapped your Car,was the original ecu retained?