Hi All,

I'm sure there's a thread for this somewhere but I can't see it. I've just got myself another engine for my VR and I was wondering if there any instructions on how to take out the engine and put it back again?

I know the easy bit, taking the front off the car, I've got access to an engine hoist and a nice garage with a pit. Are there any special tools I'll need? I'll do the engine mounts whilst I'm in there but is there anything else I should think about replacing whilst I've got the engine out?

Alternatively, I've been quoted £450 all in for cash by my local garage.

Cheers :)

If you've not done it before but want to give it a go then I'd suggest buying a haynes manual... :)

If you've not got a decent set of tools then you'll likely spend quite a lot on them too.

Find out where your local bolt shop is as you'll no doubt need to replace lots of them.

I did mine with 2 very short axle stands, 1 crappy trolly jack, and a 300 piece tool set from argos lol.

I removed all engine bay componants, removed gearbox, changed clutch, driveshafts and timing chains aswell as valves and valve guides.......you can do it if you feel confident, have a slight mechanical ability and make sure your car isn't needed for a few days.

A M8 spline piece for your driveshaft bolts.

Maybe clutch' date=' even timing chains and tensioners isn't hard once the box is off. there is a guide for that on vortex, and it really isnt bad if you follow instructions.

[/quote']

guides for them on here mate as well :) in the premium members section - knowledge vault :)

Guys, thanks for all the posts :)

I trained as a mechanical engineer when I left school but I definately fall into the 'Have A Go Hero' catagory and I've got more tools than Halfords but most are old sh*t! I've never tried anything quite a major as taking an entire engine out but how hard can it be eh?!

I'm picking the engine up next weekend but I probably won't get around to doing the work for a few months yet so I want to track down a decent low mileage auto transmission or a recon one, I might as well change that whilst I'm in there, engine mounts too. I'll start hoarding hoses, HTs and all the common nuts n bolts too.

Someone mentioned Haynes, yuck, but seriously, I didn't know there was one so that's my mission for this week :)

Anyhoo, again, thanks for all the posts :)

Someone mentioned Haynes' date=' yuck, but seriously, I didn't know there was one so that's my mission for this week :)

[/quote']

I'm not 100% certain there is a vr6 one but I reckon, as aweful as they are, they are worth £8 for a reasonable step by step guide to do something like this. I assume the engine you have is the same as the one coming out? obd1/2 etc...