Right so my clutch went and i am going to replace it myself as i said in earlier post. I havent got the money to spend £100 on a clutch kit atm but i habve come across a second hand clutch disk and pressure that has only done 100 miles or so before the engine got dstripped for parts. my clutch is slipping so badly through the rev range you cant get any where, it wasnt as bad but its just got worse.

I suppose im aking whether im ok just changing these parts or whether it could be the release bearing or another part that could be causing the clutch to slip.

dont want to put it back together with these parts and it be something else.

P.s, i also have another cluth disk and pressure plate in my garage that was out of another golf, if there is tread on the disk and a bit of removable rust on the pressure plate, is it recomended not too use this ( could it now not work although it did before removal diue to weather etc)

Sorry fotr the ?s just need my car back and havent got the monay et the moment..

The slipping won't be caused by your release bearing. It will be the pressure plate being worn down to or close to the rivets. A weak cluch cover will also add to this and make the pedal feel heavy. I would always recommend changing the plate and cover together with the bearing. the work involved in replacing a clutch on these engines makes it a false economy not to change all three. If the second hand cover and plate are as good a you say then fit them but change the release bearing while the box is out. remove any surface rust with WD40 and a coarse sandpaper FOLLOWED BY BRAKE CLEANER to remove the WD40! Check the covers for wear on the fins where the bearing makes contact. Providing the plates and covers aen't excessively worn, have not been damgaged or distorted then they should be ok. For how long is a different matter.

Most lightly isn't the release bearing, these tend to just colaps and then you have no clutch atall

you might be able to buy release bearing separate and if you can do that and use the 100 mile old clutch (can't you just get the 100 mile old release bearing at the same time?)

Only use a clutch than you know to be good, ie seen driving and not slipping, the 100 mile one should be fine

the one in your garage all thought it might look to have loads of tread left on the friction side ive had the spring fingers fail on a pressure plate before causing it to look ok but not apply full pressure, If you looked closly you could see it had gone blue on the spring fingers from heat causing it to loose it sprung tension

hope this make sence