water leaked, over heated, slight mayo on cap

I got low on water the other day (seems to go low every month) and it overheated for the first time ever. It went to the 110 mark. Now there is a slight bit of mayo on the oil cap. No mayo on the dip stick, and water is ok bu then i have just refiiled. Someone mentioned it could just be a bit of condensation from over heating. Or is it the begining of the end for the head gasket, if so how long could it last and what the best price to get it done (i was quoted £800 !!)

are you using just water to top up or properly mixed G12+? The mayo this time of year is normal

if you are using just water, it will freeze in this weather and boil when the engine is running and cause overheating or will evapourate fast

the water hit 110 when it overheated, been fine since. I do need to put more coolant in as i put one litre to about 5 litres of water. Glad to hear it not definately the head gasket. It was actualy someone who came to buy the car who noticed it.

I would if TPS still did the 5 ltr drum for cheap' date=' but they stopped doing it and its now only in 1.5ltr bottles. SWINES!

[/quote']

I know, they dont do any other size. I even asked about 25 litres!!!

I only do extra bit as I always have a open bottle in car

I had the same problems as the oringinal post^^ also a lack if power, I took it as the headgasket, decided it was a good a time as any to replace with a uprated gasket, took everything apart,after reading this I'm begining to think maybe a little more coolant may have been better, but that doesn't explain the lack of power, wen I removed the head the fifth cylinder looked as tho it had steam cleaned it's self! Any ideas,