how many miles per gallon is a VR6 1995 2.8 litre model supposed to do as standard?

Driving anything from 1-4 miles in the city I am experiencing 10-12 mpg, in traffic.

So far I have filled the car with £40 worth of petrol and the driven about 20 miles yet the needle indicating this appears to go down quicker than the miles I am driving!

What are others peoples experiences?

I was thinking of performance upgrades (currently the car is completely standard) but not going to if the mpg is going to get worse!

yeah thats about right for the type of mileage youre indicating, you may get it up ever so slightly with an oil service, plugs e.t.c, but unfortunately its the comletely wrong car for such a short journey, you need to remember that despite being a 2.8 it is a 12 valve engine, so its much more comfortable and economical at higher speeds, i drive about 18 miles aound the north circular to work and the v.r is ideal,whereas when im just running around to the bank, tesco's, to a mates round the corner the fuel seems to be disappearing like ive got a fuel leak!! but its a fact of vr ownership and we like to think of vr's as Smiles Per Mile ;) and if you do ANY preformance mod, yes your m.p.g's will go further south, official combined m.p.g's for your motor is about 32.5 or something combined, but i dont know how they come to these figures,over the last 35000 miles i havent managed to get above about 25 mpg's.

i suggest you get yourself a golf mk4, gt tdi, 130 or 150 brake, get it chipped, and especially on your type of journey you will point to point be easily as quick as a standard vr6, oh and youll'e be doing about 40 - 50 mpg's below legal speed limits!!!

MIne is an OBD2 and I get around 18ish mpg in major traffic as I only drive 10 miles return daily, my previous one was OBD1 and that used to get me around your figures in traffic. Also I assume yours is an auto as oer your forum name and auto's do tend to like the petrol pumps more :)