gearbox removal and refitting

You want to support the engine on a trolly jack and lower it down so the gearbox can pass under the chassie leg' date='

[/quote']

:-d go back up 2-4" dude, You only want it low enough to miss the chaissie leg, Yet high enuff to miss the subframe, You will find the perfect height in the end, Did you get the gearbox bracket off as it will give you more room.. haha bet your having fun

Once its high enough you gotta bring it out then tip the front of the box down first bring the diff bit down at the end if that makes sence, Try and remember what kind of angle it come out at as its gotta go back in the same way

ok thanx ill try taking her up a little and see if i can find some more room there

not sure quite what u mean by tipping the front down 1st and the diff at the end... do i twist the box to bring the front down?

as far as remembering the angle im gonna go pick up a 2nd hand box tomite so hopefully when the current one comes out ill have a replacement one to go straight in:)

as for having fun...if by that u mean swearing for England then yes, you are spot on;)

i now have the old box off which is a HUGE relief... there were moments where i could have cried but now im feeling much better about the whole project.

i probably couldnt have done it without your help so BIG THANX to u guys for advice:)

i have what i hope will be the last couple of questions for u...

1. the replacement box i have came with the O/S driveshaft cup missing which i will have to replace with the one from my old box - this cup was one of the things which gets in the way when geting the g/box out.

would it be a good idea to get the g/box on 1st b4 i attach the cup to it???

2. how much transmission oil do i need and where do put it into the g/box???

thanx again:)#

EDIT: doesnt look like those were quite the last questions... the bracket on the gear selector tree on the new box looks a bit bent is this an easy swop for the one on my old box? ive tried loosening off the 2 13mm bols attaching it to the box to see if it would just slide out but there seems to be no movement

thanx m8 the new tower is now in and i appear to be able to select all gears which is good:)

will i need to re-seal this and if so what should i use???

also where is the filler apparture for oil?? i cant see anywhere on top of the box :/ will it need to be filled b4 i reattach it?

im planning to use MT-90 as ive read this is good... as u appear to be an expert whats yr opinion on what i should use???

filler on the front of the box about half way up, Its a big 17mm allen key thingy, Your going to find it hard to get this out tbf, Its also a oil level, On level ground fill till it starts to dribble out of the hole, so fill when its in, Personally id fit the cut with the box out, Id put what VW recommend as far a oil, You do need to reseal the shift tower, I use a black silicon the vaxhall sell for sealing sumps (free from work) sure vw sell the same stuff

Alex thats the word i was looking for, preload :S thats the only bit im scared of as ive never done it before, How do you set this, surly there's a special tool involved, ive hurd that some people do it with a string and a weight?

Guys there is a filling hole on the top of the box!

Alex thats the word i was looking for' date=' preload :S thats the only bit im scared of as ive never done it before, How do you set this, surly there's a special tool involved, ive hurd that some people do it with a string and a weight?

[/quote']

I forgot in my list of tools you will need a DIAL INDICATOR!

Empty the case halves, install new diff bearings and diff WITHOUT shim. Tighten up box around diff part of casing to correct torque. Measure the play, and select correct shim from the list. If you do want to do the diff swap give me a shout and I will tell you what shim you need for the correct preload. Pull it all apart again and fit shim under the correct bearing seat. Bolt the case up again with the diff in as before, DO NOT NOT TURN DIFF TO SETTLE THE BEARINGS! Now measure the turning force with your new light weight torque wrench. Done.

SHE LIVES!!! :D :D :D

got her back on the road today and boy am i happy... ive been driving a mk4 tdi automatic since mines been off the road so its great to be back in a v6 where i get to choose the gears (the way it should be)

1st and 5th are a little notchy but i think thats cos i havent adjusted the selector cables to perfection yet.

the only small problem was of my own making really... for my test drive i forgot to reconnect the outside temp sensor and when i came back i found it lying outside my house where the cables had torn out, so theres another job lined up:/

anyway BIG BIG thanx to u guys for the assistance, yr advice has been invaluable:)