Hi all,

well i got the dreaded misfire a few eeks ago, and was advised to look at new plugs and leads as a starting point.

I bought bosch leads and NGK plugs and swapped them over (must buy proper plug tool, the VW plastic one is okay but can splay out over the plug cover and i am not 100% sure thay are all on exactly right!)

However the misfiring is still happening, especially bad during heavy rain we are having atm, i have looked at my coil pack and the plastic is worn and has a few cracks in it, so i am sourcing a second hand one as i want to try and see if a diff pack will remedie the prob rather than buy a new one at 3 figure sums, then find its not that causing the problem.

Also i have noticed that under load, say 3rd or fourth gear when i accelerate up to 4k, the engine seems to lose power, the engine pulls cleanly but at around 3.5 - 4k it seems to step down in the acceleration.

is this linked to the possible coil electrical; gremlins or is it something else anyone may have experience of.

oh where can i get a metal lead removal tool?

cheers all

You're doing all the right stuff. Next stop is definitely the coil pack. Missfires can defnitely cause power loss so I'd be surprised if the two issue were not related. To be sure, you'll want to get a vagcom reading done. If you have a laptop or access to a laptop, get yourself a vagcom cable off ebay. It'll pay for itself in no time.

Metal spark plug tool:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/smart-car-plug-lead-removal-tool-cracking-price_W0QQitemZ260276916331QQihZ016QQcategoryZ100920QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought one of these and it works fine. maybe not as pretty as the sealey one but does the job and is dead cheap.

best of luck,

ip

VAG COM expensive....Ricks wallet currently empty...:(

if u have a laptop all u need is the cable from ebay

mine was £5 + £8 postage

there is a free/shareware version of the VAG-COM software which does most, if not all, of what you need day to day.

ah, i didn't know that.

And i am not 100% sure if i have OBD 1 or 2.

i would assume that i have OBD 1 as the car is an early model, as all the cables i have seen on ebay for vag com are OBD2, is there a specific OBD 1 cable to be had?

where abouts can i get the shareware version of VAG COM?

ah' date=' i didn't know that.

And i am not 100% sure if i have OBD 1 or 2.

i would assume that i have OBD 1 as the car is an early model, as all the cables i have seen on ebay for vag com are OBD2, is there a specific OBD 1 cable to be had?

where abouts can i get the shareware version of VAG COM?

[/quote']

mines an OBDI but has an OBDII type connector, if u have an OBDI connector then i believe theres an adapter u can get...

where do you actually plug the thing into to start with' date=' BMW i used to have was in engine bay but on this i wouldn't know?

[/quote']

remove the ashtray, then slide the plastic blanking plate on the left of the ashtray across into the space where the ashtray was, the port should be just behind there

remove the ashtray' date=' then slide the plastic blanking plate on the left of the ashtray across into the space where the ashtray was, the port should be just behind there

[/quote']

if it's not, or the cover wont slide, you have the 2x2 OBD1 port which is behind the blanking plates above the ashtray. next to rear demist.

right found the VAG com plug in point, its behind a sliding cover above the lighter socket. Broke the bloddy thing though, as i thought it was a push in blank like the rest......ggrrr. Super glue has sorted broken tab though.

Had a look under bonnet and the unit is deffo an OBD1 type, going by the pics on the sticky.

The VAGCOM plug is black and has 2 sets of connection lines, one above the other, about 6 or seven on top and 8 or nine on bottom *this is an estimate as i wasn't counting)

what type of plug would i need to fit that, i.e. will the connection leads on flea-bay that say OBD 2 still work if i have the OBD 2 connector but an OBD1 unit under the bonnet?

sorry many noob questions but wanna sort this thing

I've got the same obd1 system as rick (1995) and it does provide plenty of useful info (error codes, engine stats, graphs of sensor reading etc). Only issue with obd1 is that it does not run fast enough (sample rate) to catch transient events like missfires. So, in most cases it won't tell you you are missfiring but it might tell you that something else is out of trim (which might in turn be causing the missfires).

Basically, not quite obd2 but it's still brilliant and I wouldn't want to try to run my car withtout it.

right,

sourced a cheap used coil pack. Its from a 97 Ford galaxy vr6.

The picture on ebay shows the top section where the electric plug connects in, and i can clearly see the AUDI logo and some german text, so i took the plunge and bought it as Buy it now.

Fingers crossed. If it works at least i know thats what the misfiring is.

If it still misfires, i will know i need to look into next area.

sensors!

P.s. has anyone else used Ford coil packs, or knows of these being used, even as a stop gaop, mainly as i can't afford £140 notes untill november...too many bills.

hmm that new scirocco looks awfully nice....

have u checked out the for sale forum or asked ppl who are breaking if they have coil packs available... if u only need one for a stop gap this could be a good solution.

alternatively put a new thread up in the wanted forum asking for one, thats what i did and within a week i had a BRAND NEW one delivered for £60 from a member who had bought it but found that he didnt need it

The saga continues.

Received the Coil i bought from the guy breaking the Ford Galaxy.

set it all up, turned the car on, and ran rough as buggery. very fluffy and popping.

replaced the original coil, and ran smoothly, but still mises as it did before......ggrrrrr

Spoke to guy on the forum he has 2 for sale,

unfortunately i can't afford to buy one until next month, hopefully he can keep one for me.

• 1 month later...

Holy thread revival batman!!

Right an update.

I got the VR6 coil pack from ebay that was off a ford galaxy, Its exactly the same part, has audi stamps on it and everything.

swapped the packs over and started the car, it ran like a bag of crap, really stuttery and missfiring.

So swapped back to my currnt one, and car is running fine, but still hesitant at 1.5 - 2k revs and when reaching 4k on the climb it seems to fluff down a bit then pick up after 4.5-5k.

So i bought new bosch leads (£60) this didn't help.........

So my old man spoke to a local tuning garage (he is a good guy and tunes rally cars for local sprints etc) anyway dad was explaining "its my sons car, a mk3 vr6, and its misfiring at l...." the guy didn't even let dad finish and he asked "do you have on VW leads?"

Dad was a bit perplexed but he said, well we have Bosch ones (the garage owner said, that Bosch aren't what they used to be.

Apparently there have beenn several reports that vr6 engines are all having misfiring issues and it seems to stem from crappy leads.

I have now purchased VW leads (they say quantum or summat similar on them) but they are black and are 7mm like the red VW style, and i have been told VW ones are red or black)

So i have ordered the GSF plug removal tool as my plastic one is hopeless!)

When it arrives i will swap over the leads and see where we are!

hopefully it will get rid of this slight hesitation at higher revs and shuddering at low revs, i.e. 3rd gear going round a corner at 1600rpm, the car stutters and bumps, and ou have to change down to get higher revs!

If this doesn't fix it, its a crash course in free ware VAG-COM hoping i can tell what the hells wrong, but the mechanic did say, that VAG COM is only useful if the problem shows up, as its a bit intermitant, it may not show correctly.

I should also say that the garage does not sell VW parts and he makes no money off of this, he was offering genuine friendly advice to some friends of his.