I think my head gasket is a goner!

A few weeks ago my VR overheated, steam pouring out from under the bonnet. It seemed like a classic thermostat problem (top pipe hot, bottom pipe cold, fan not running) so I've replaced the stat.

I've just been out running the car and the dash coolant light is flashing and I still have a hot top rad pipe and a cold bottom one, and the fan seems to never come on. It looks like there is a drip from the exhaust pipe too! eek!

With 140k on the clock is my VR finally heading to the car scrap heap in the sky?!? *cries*

Fan fuse I'd imagine...? If the radiator isn't getting hot then the fan won't make much difference.

When you filled the coolant back up did you bleed the system correctly and allow the car to warm up with the cap off etc...?

A little bit of water from the exhaust is normal. Lots of steam from the back when everything is warmed up properly isn't.

The radiator was getting warm so hopefully its just the fuse. Is that the one underneath the expansion tank?

And after filling up with coolant I did leave the expansion cap off for a while but that was all as far as bleeding is concerned. Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks for the comments so far!

just changed the water pump on mine, refiled the water bottle. what you need to do is let the engine get really hot so as the fans come on you will then see the water drain down in the bottle keep toping it up till its back up to max, it will overflow first so dont worry.