Strange tire noise - camber or wheel alignment problem

Hi

For a few months now I had noticed what sounded like tire noise when going round corners or straight on - but if I turned right the noise disappeared. I took it to a garage to get the tracking and full wheel alignment done. They said the tracking and alignment was well out. After a few days the noise returned and now when I go straight on there is no noise at all but I get the noise only when turning left or right, even very gradually . Its more noticable on certain road surfaces. So its defintely changed since the garage did the full wheel alignment - so now instead of there being no noise when turning right, there is now no noise when going straight ahead but it is present when turning left or right. I suspect it could be something else like the camber. I'm getting a service done in a month or so. Any ideas what else it could be? Is camber easy to correct?

Thanks for any help and info.

sounds like your wheel bearing gone to me mate. When you turn and bank the car over abit it puts more strane on the wheel bearing and then become more noisey. Do you find the noise gets worse the faster you drive and after youve been driving for a while

As Phat says, almost certainly a front wheel bearing, or both but probably one. Had a Pug 205 with same symptom and cause. If straight ahead it is quiet (now you have it tracking properly), but starts to 'rumble' or whine when you apply lock....even if you apply little twitches, try doing that on a straight road just flicking gently applying turn left/right...if it comes and goes when you do that, then it's almost certainly a front wheel bearing. As he says, it should be road speed related and change tone a little dependant on road speed. Jack the car up each side and get hold of the wheels and give them a good series of heaves, top to bottom, left to right...you should be able to feel a little play. Even if you can't feel it, it does not mean they are not knackered.