Engine replacement - VR6 Golf MK3

Hi there,

At present I have a MK 3 VR6 Golf,

The shell and the interior are mint, the engine however is not running, the big ends have went.

I have aquired a VR6 engine to replace the current engine... the new engine runs air condition where as the current engine does not, I want to replace the engine but I dont want to run the air condition. I have had some problems that I have managed to overcome, however some still exist. Below the injector port in cylinder 3 + 4 there is a port leading to a valve and then down through a hose (I think this is linked to the air con - or possibly an AGR valve?) - my old engine does not have this, will I need to run this?- or is there a blanking plug available to resolve this problem?

Thanks for your advice in advance - I know this isn't very descriptive - but I tried my best!

Thanks -

Shaun

I have just done exactly the same as you because of the exact same problem, and my engine also came out of a sharan/galaxy as the the golf vr6's were not equipped with EGR or air injection.

That hose is for secondary air injection and no you don't need it. There are blanking plugs available, but I have been unable to find any for sale in the UK. Ideally you would want to remove the valve and fit a 3/4" core plug in its place. You can just put a bit of wood, or a big bolt in the hose and use the hose clamp to just seal it and make sure it goes nowhere and should be fine temporarily, thats how mine is running at the moment.

Regarding the air con, all you need to do is just remove the air con compressor and use the old belt and you shouldn't have any problems with that.