gearbox removal

Hi all,

I'm trying to get the box out of my vr6 golf, and struggling a bit. I've got most things off in preparation but i'm not sure if I need to undo the front engine mount aswell as the rear gearbox one? Also does the starter motor need to be removed in order to get it out?

Any help would be much appreciated

thanks for the quick reply. I'll give it a whirl hopefully it should all be fine. Was trying to remove starter motor earlier but I think the bolt has seized onto the stud! however the stud seems to come out with nut attach. I haven't unscrewed it all the way yet do you think this will be a problem? i'm not sure how i'm gonna get the nut off any other way as the stud is moving.

You need to surport your engine as only the O/S rear engine mount will be left conected.. I use a engine surport which goes from wing to wing under the bonit but you can use a trolly jack with a block of wood.

The bracket im on about is the one that conects the front engine mount to the engine/ gearbox...

Theres no need to remove ball joints (altho can make it easyer) or drain gear oil ect..

Do in this order... Undo the spline bolts that hold the drive shafts on (braker bar and socket on the big hub bolt center of wheel helps keep the drive shafts still if needed )and then cable tie them out the way..

Remove the gear select mech and cable tie that up out the way

Unplug all the sencer plugs, Remove the clutch slave cylinder (2 bolts) and cable tie this up out the way, No need to remove piping.

Now surport engine, Remove starter and said bracket, Then remove the gearbox mount and bracket that bolts onto the gearbox (3 13mm bolts on the gearbox, 1 15mm that goes thought the gearbox braket and into the mount, 2 15mm that hold the mount into the cup on the subframe) Remove the mount and the bracket as it gives you more room

Now just undo all the big 19mm bolts that hold the gearbox onto the engine and the box should become free. If it doesn't move you still got a bolt holding it in somewhere

Lowering the engine downa abit can give you more room to get it past chaissie leg

Use gravaity to help you drop it out lol, Good time to change the gearbox mount when putting it back together as they fail offen (brown fuild leaking out)

Hope this helps, Good luck.. its putting them back in again is very tight