Iv just recently purchased a vr6 golf. Bought it yesterday and was so pleased with it.

I took it for a drive today and after a while steam started to come out the oil cap.

Also i noticed oil coming up threw the throttle body and into the air filter.

There was a rusty colour under the waterbottle cap and the water was very rusty in colour.

Could i please find out what the problem is, is it easy/hard to fix?

Thanks in advance. Ryan

worst case would be headgasket...but if the cars been sat around for a bit before you got it it could be condensation(sp?) in the engine. flush out the coolent and but some more in take it for a drive and see how it is.

Also look around the engine block for any oil/damp patches.

I think ill change the head gasket nw anyway as im not sure when it was last done or when the chains were changed.

If there is any oil/damp patches around the engine would would be the problem?

Thanks for the help!!

What milage has it done? Not sure I would change head gasket and chains unless I was sure they were needed (expensive and some gagrages do a shoddy job). You'll know if you need new chains as the rattling sound should be very apparent.

My own car had only been doing 2k miles per year for the period before I bought it and there was a little mayo under the oil filler cap due to condensation. All gone now.

The rusty coloured water can be one of three things:

1. Mixed G61 and G62 coolant (not sure I have the coolant names correct but essentially blue and pink coolants). This can become corrosive and turns brown).

2. Rad weld. It's brown, it may have been added by the previous owner to fix a minor leak. When I bought mine , the coolant was brown and then the radiator blew. Fortunately, replacing the radiator was cheap (£50) and relatively easy. Since then the coolant has sayed nice a clean.

3. Worst case, head gasket has indeed gone. However, I'd check out the other possibilities before blowing big bucks on an engine rebuild. Especially since you only just bought the car and don't know if it is a keeper yet.

If it is the head gasket and you do go with the new chains, get the clutch done at the same time (if it hasn't already been done), they tend to go arounf 100k.

Ok a bit of an update at the moment.

Decided tonight to take a look at the car. stripped a few parts off the car (air filter and piping and heat shield).

Noticed that the new coolant i had put in the car was all underneath the heatshield and running down the back of the engine and onto the ground.

This lead me to wonder why the car was steaming, so i topped the collant up and started the car, once the engine warmed up the steam started coming out again :mad:

But i noticed that it was the coolant evaporating and coming up threw the engine cover and NOT out the oil cap as i 1st thought!!

So i took a few pics of where the hose is leaking and hopefully someone could lead me in the right direction to where i could find this hose, whether or not its brand new or used.

Pics

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

Any feedback much appreciated

I've had to replace that pipe twice in about 3 years. First time it split along the pipe between the engine and T junction. Second time the T junction sprung a leak. Available from VW for about £45 (!). eurocarparts also do them, but not original VW and a little cheaper.

As for the rusty colour - what coolant did you put in? You need G12 Plus from VW or German and Swedish, As putting in the wrong coolant can cause the water to go a rusty colour. Mine is rusty colour and has been since I bought it, even though I change the coolant every year.