Virtually No Power! With Pics

Ok here's the situation.

Drove to leeds about 45 mins. Absolutely perfect!

About 6 hours later set off to go back home.

Had real problems starting, idling was iffy and it cut out a few times. If I pressed the accelerator fully nothing happened, the only way I could get it to rev at all was to blip the throttle quickly.

After a few minutes like that it stabilised a bit but the idling was still lumpy, we decided to set off to see how it was.

For the whole journey back it was like I'd left the hand brake on or something! Pressing the accelerator fully or partially didn't make a difference as you'd expect. I could only just gradually speed up. Any sort of incline almost killed it and the revs fell off. In parts it probably looked like a new learner driver was driving, with it been jerky! On a particular steep hill I had to drop to 1st and crawl up!

Another thing I noticed was that when pressing the accelerator fully/a lot, everynow and then I'd hear a metallic 'ping/ding' followed by a brief jerk.

The exhaust was slightly louder than normal, more boomy but in a normal sounding way. When I stopped there was a lot of pinking coming from the exhaust as if it was very hot, the plastic centre tunnel in the cabin (where the handbrake is) also felt as if I'd been on a m-way for a few hours, warm. Oil and water temps were normal.

It's getting serviced on thursday, so its been a while. On previous occasions if it's been a while between services I've noticed that a couple of spark plugs were black/oily, usually no.1. If a spark plug or 2 were knackered could they cause this type of problem?

Going down hill sounded perfectly normal (on overrun) if that helps.

It did sound like the exhaust was playing a part! Kind of a feeling I got. Especially with the 'ping' that I heard everynow and then. Maybe it was petrol or something igniting in the exhaust?

Excuse for a sports cat! :)

Who knows, I just want the thing to run dammit!

It defo sound like an air leak, doesnt take much to send it mad, check that crap crank case beather valve hasnt fallen apart aswell.

Failing that my next step would be a quick check over the leads etc, then VAG COM

If you want to check your CAT hasnt collapsed just give it a shake and see if you can hear it jingle, just to put your mind at rest

Just a thought aswel, if the centre of the exhaust has dropped down, check the cables to the lamba sensor havnt broke or been yanked off