Hi, suspension advice for my VR please!

Hi, i've got a 96 supercharged VR Golf, it's currently on standard suspension and handles like a boat and manages to torque steer everywhere, i'd like to buy something which doesn't lower it much more than 40mm if possible as it's my daily car.

What can you guys suggest please?

Thanks!

Hi,

I have KW shocks and springs got them for £300 ( Premium member) what a difference it makes and lowered it 40 mm. You are better to replace top mount bushes at the same time and get it Aligned/camber set up properly.

OK so there are lots of options here for you.... You can buy all singing and dancing fully adjustable items your chice (Coil overs) or just spring and shock kits.

Historically people talk about VW and Golf linking Eibach springs and Koni shocks as the ideal mix. I cant prove that though - it is just what I have read and heard.

I bought the Koni kit and dropped it 35mm. TBH no more as speed humps then start to become an issue in my part of the world. I am charged and it has no issues putting it down. No tramping or torque steer on hard acceleration and as they are adjustable you can set the ride stiffness yourself. Only thing to note is that the rear shocks have to removed to do this. (so some thought before hand)

I am running on std wheels so no clearance issues and have them set at about 75% setting. I like it firm and this is just har enough so the missus doesnt complain :D (to much)

Change the top bearings on your struts at the same time. (as I had it in bits i did discs and pads at the same time with rear dearings). All the angles change when lowering so any weakness will be exosed sooner. Just easier to do when you want rather than when you need to - if you follow me.

It is important to get it set up for full laser cast and camber! Remember they need a little time to bed in so get them done again after about 500miles or so. They wont be very far out at all and lots of people dont do it again, but just piece of mind

I hope that helps ( and one final thing..... remember you will need to get the jack out after so make sure you can as you will be lower than when you started ;) )