Hello, I'm new on this forum. I have a VW Caravelle 98/99 with a VR6. Yesterday, as it was like a warm summer day here in Oslo, the motor stalled when it became warm. The watertemp indicator seemed stable at around 90 degree C. When the problem first occured, I was running at about 90 km/h. Suddenly the rpm indicator went to "0" and I lost the power. To me it seemed like the power for ignition and rpm meeter was cut off directly. All other equipmend seemed to have power. When I tried to start again the motor turned OK with the starter but there was no attemt to fire. I tried again, serveral times, and then ather abbout 10 min i fired and worked like nothing had hapened, and i I could drive for about three minutes before it stalled again. It became a long trip home. When I tried the car again in the evening, when it was cooler outside, I could run a long trip before it became as warm as It started to stall again. I would be gratefull If any one here have experienced this problem, or know what causes it I would be very greatful for sugestions what to do. On the VW workshop they did not seem to understand what I was talking about, and the guy who should read the diagnostics erased the memory, sarted the motor again and said there is nothing wrong now.

Best regards

Kim

• 2 weeks later...

try replacing the temperature coolant sensor, it's cheap and easy, it's the blur colour plug, bu the thermostat in the UK they are about £15 GBP, only buy this part from VW as there's a lot of crap out there..

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you. Some more questions:

Is this one of the three sensors placed beside each other? Two of them was with four pins, placed on each side of a two pin one. (One black one with a yellow ring, on the left side, and one green one on the right side).

When I went to my VW dealer yesterday, the guy in the spare part shop looked the part up on his computer, he said:"here it says that the sensor giving signals to the motronic and different others is black and yellow, but its now replaced with a blue one".

So, I went home and replaced the black and yellow sensor. When I took it out, it had a different shape in the end. The new blue one was flat, and the black/yellow one was more like an arrow. I'm afraid I have replaced the wrong sensor. By disconnecting it, I found out that the sensor i had replaced is the one also giving the signal to the temperature indicating instrument. Is this the rigt sensor?

When test driving, the car behaved the same, stopping when warm.

Regards

Kim

It was the engine speed/reference sensor (G28) causing this problem. Yesterday I bought the Bentley manual and found the needed information. I measured the resistance in the sensor while engine was cold, then drove some trips around the neighborhood until it stopped. And now the ohmmeter showed an open circuit. (infinite ohms). When the engine cooled down the sensor suddenly showed about 1100 ohm, and I was able to drive home knowing that my WR6 will be OK again.

Reading the manual and faultfinding on the engine, I don't think any of the temp-sensors nor the hall sensor will give a directly stopping fail.

Regards

Kim