oil cooler help

i,ve just fitted a mocal oil cooler and stat the thing is my oil tempreture gauge is not coming up past 60 even when giving it a thrashing, i understood that the oilcooler won,t start cooling the oil til it hits around 90 and that was the reason i bought one with a stat ,any ideas guys? the stat is the mocal type as well, could i have plumbed it wrong? it looks ok to me and the stat seems to be only able to be fitted one way

DSC00298.jpg

DSC00297.jpg

ie the side with the gasket to the block and the cap on the side without the gasket

sounds like its fitted right, did you get the tube/mushroom problem sorted out so it fitted snugly on the centre of the sandwich plate?

How long was it running to get to that temprature?

Mine was cooling abit much over the winter so I mad a sheild out of alloy to put infront of the cooler so no air passed over it and the backside then just acts as a heat sink, sorted it for me

Same happens with ours. The thermostats seem to let some oil through even when the oils cold and with a large cooler like you have it'll soon over cool in colder weather.

I assume you've bought the cooler for track days or something as I've never heard of a vr6 cooking oil on the road.

Make a shield out of something weather proof and cover the cooler up while you're on the road. Take it off for hard driving.

60 degrees isn't warm enough to protect your engine so do it sooner rather than later :) The overcooling will be 10x worse in the rain.

yes i,ll be tracking it , i,ve also supercharged it, i spent the extra so i would not have to cover it up in winter , its a pain in the ass as it was extra £40 i think its a mocal too so you,d think it would be good stuff

wrap the whole oil cooler or as much of it as you can until then to keep that temps up

The connector on the oil temp sender does tend to corrode and when disturbed can crack so it may have happen whilst digging around in that area

I took my Mocal cooler off over the weekend for the same reasons. I do actually have a brand new OE heat exchanger aswell, but the oil and water took AGES to warm up and it was also causing excessive pressure problems.

At 2000rpm, hot pressure should be 3 bar, but with my mocal it was showing 5 bar!!

Mocal ripped off, oil pressures are back to spec.

Only downside is the oil sits at 108 - 112 on sustained motorway runs, but that's not a problem for the Castrol Edge 10W/60 I use. That oil was developed for BMW M3 race cars, so is plenty good enough for a VRT :-)

The good thing is oil is up to 80 deg within 5 miles, so ready for it's thraping when I join the motorway. With the mocal, it was just about on 52 when I hit the mway......no where near hot enough.

I might look at getting a smaller mocal and with a 90 degree stat (80 deg is default) and see if that can keep the oil at 100, where I like it. If the oil is too low, it doesn't boil off water on short journeys.