Gosh i'm not having much luck!!

Well I spent the best part of 5 hours in a car today driving a ridiculous round trip to go and look at two "very good condition" vr6's for sale. Not happy!! They were both utter shite and today was a total waste of time.

Why do people bother lying and wasting other peoples time by writing utter s**t about their cars?!?!

The first one was owned by a kid who didn't know anything about the car he said he'd owned for 3 years. It looked like it'd had some sort of coolant leak weeks ago and it had NO water in it at all. It really didnt bother him, I wouldn't test drive the car until I made him go and fetch some water to top it up. It was filthy, I couldn't even see in his boot because it was full of clothes, skateboards and rubbish. The best part about the car was the amount of tax left and the cd player, both of which he was keeping!!

For the 2nd one I rdove to Portsmouth to find a car that had 11 different patches of rust, both bumpers had been painted with a rattle can, the car didn't even run properly, sluggish wasn't the word, a 10 minute drive in the car produced 8mpg!! Something was seriously wrong there! I was ready to walk away as soon as i saw it and I told him so too! So on the spot he knocked another £700 off the price! That's before ii'd even popped the bonnet or driven it!!! Dodgy or what!!! Needless to say i've walked away from both sales today.

Rant rant rant!!

Has anyone got a decent VR6 for sale within 50 miles of Surrey? Pretty please??

It's back to the classifieds for me!!

I know where your coming from, I've seen some right old crappers that were described as mint in the past, the people advertising their cars must be really MENTALLY CHALLENGED.

Years back, probally 10 to 12 years, well it was when Tyson bit (I think it was) Hollyfields ear (I know that as I was reading the story in the paper that day) my Mrs was after a XR2 and we spent a whole thursday with the thames valley trade in one hand and mobile in the other driving from 1 XR2 to another, some private some trade. Every car was a shitter we only test drove 1 and that broke down as the headgasket being gone. We looked at a Renault 5 gt turbo that had no boost as all the intercooler and pipes were missing, she bought a 205 1.9 pug gti in the end after looking at about 6 shitters again.

I bought a right old shitter of a VR6 last year and dismantled it in the end cause it was so far gone.

A new law should be if it aint as described they should pay you for your time and petrol spent in looking at their old shit car, or just give them a good beating instead.

sounds pretty crap greg, but i know what you mean!

before i found mine, i looked at a chilli red one in london, was a 2 hour drive to get to it and the lad promised me it was mint on the phone and the pictures seemed to back that up.

when we got there i found rust on pretty much every panel, including a huge amount on the passenger door! he told me there was NO rust! and when i pointed all the bit out he said he didnt know they were there! well, he obviously didnt know the car he was selling as it would be hard to miss it all, the amount there was and the size of some of the bits! and it had hardly any history with it either, after he told me on the phone it has fsh! only good things about it were the colour and the climatronic!

needless to say, after the 4 hour roundtrip, and me missing out on the autosport show as a result, neither me or my dad were very impressed!

but a week later, it was back to london, and we found what is now, my storm grey vr! :D

I think this is a story known by serious lookers the world over, I spent about 8 months looking for a 'Good Condition' VR6, time and again I would turn up and the car would smell damp and musty, matrix leak and not fixed properly, sunroofs stuck open/closed, rust all over the place, mileage 100,000 miles out compared to the description (because I wouldnt notice when I went to look at the car) not running right, slow, uneconomical etc etc etc...

It takes a while to find a decent car, in the end I found one in the autotrader but as it turned out it was being sold on here too, the exterior wasnt in 'fantastic' condition but the guy never said it was, the engine though was another story, lovely purrrr, pulled strongly and sounded spot on, the handling was good and the services had been kept up to date, it needed a damn good polish, a new wing (my choice) and a good clean inside (the guy had kids) and it was an awesome car, plus only had just over 100,000 GENUINE miles on the clock.

I found it better to look at the ones that stated either excellent condition or fair condition as those people seemed to be the most honest.

ps go look at a vr6 with Vag-Com if poss, you can be suprised as to what can be hidden with using it...

That story reminds me of one i took to Skegness to pick mine up...only to find when i got there the rear quarter panel was a complete right off!!! Needless to say i bought the car, and spent ££££ getting it repaired. Also had another one in Oxford (300 miles round trip) to get to a VR which was NOT as described. :@

Good luck with the hunt mate, be patient and you'll get yourself a minter! ;)

Just a small tip, check the classifieds on here as the people on here tend to look after their cars plus someone else on here will probably know them and you dont tend to sell a dodgy car under false pretenses when you know it can come back and bite you in the A!?*

cheers guys, yea i agree it can take an age to find the right one, i was very lucky finding my last high line, it was the 2nd one i viewed and it was sucha bargain! Wish I hadnt sold it now, most of the "decent" vr's are up for more than my sub80k 3dr mulberry sold for a year ago, it's crazyness! I guess its "scene tax" lol

• 2 weeks later...

I know they say you should never buy the first car you go to see but I was so lucky.

I brought mine (With a bit of very humorous haggling) off of purple highline monster. As soon as I saw it I loved it and knew it was gonna be good. I was lucky but defo agree that buying off of this site can only be a good thing.