Engine juddering at low revs, any ideas?

Hi folks.

Engine started juddering below 2000rpm yesterday.

This coincided with an acute oil shortage which was rectified today (5l synta silver).

The judder is still there. Above 2k everything seems fine. The car feels rough at idle and judders in any gear below 2k although more pronounced in higher gears.

Any ideas are greatfully received

Hopefully this will just be a partial load miss (Check your plugs), but if you've had to put 5 litres of oil in then I think some internal issues may exist. Someone may correct me here but VR6's take 6 or 6.5 litres oil so that poor beaut was near enough dry!

If you think it's due to heavy oil consumption check your plugs (They'll be black as the hat), or for smoke (will be blue). And check your crankcase breather too, no engines like these to be blocked.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for that.

I've had a quick look at the crankhouse breather and it seemed pretty gunged up with old oil deposits and also had a fair bit of new fresh seepage i.e some of the 5l transfusion from yesterday I assume.

Do you think a simple clean of the breather pipe will be worth it or am i looking at a more drastic solution?

Ta in advance

Callam

mines doing this on occasions too. seems to be down on power with it for a short few seconds then it is fine. mostly when cold. started popping a bit on acceleration too. im hoping it'll be fine after a service this month (new plugs and oil & filter etc. might clean up the maf and breather pipe too. see how it goes... i hate engine trouble :(

PS im pretty sure its actually just over 5 litres of oil capacity as you normally need to buy 5l sinta silver then a li'l 1L bottle to top it up.

I'm hoping you mean you changed the oil for 5litres of silver?? not topped it up with 5? otherwise it will have been practically running dry!!!

1cal, whip your plugs out too and make a not of the colours and condition as a start, and yeah do clean the gunk out of the breather. Damo 85 does sound a bit remeniscent of a failing plug so you maybe lucky in that it gets sorted after service and cleaning various bits, if it's the same or worse after service, reply to the thread. Good luck both of you! :)

1cal' date=' whip your plugs out too and make a not of the colours and condition as a start, and yeah do clean the gunk out of the breather. Damo 85 does sound a bit remeniscent of a failing plug so you maybe lucky in that it gets sorted after service and cleaning various bits, if it's the same or worse after service, reply to the thread. Good luck both of you! :)

[/quote']

*-) Did I not mention plugs and servicing in my reply??

Car needed new plugs and leads, took it out last night for a spanking, in the name of scientific analysis, and it's now running better than ever! Many thanks.

Samson, you're right! Poor maintenance regime I'm afraid. I'll be keeping a closer check on levels from now on.

sounds just like me. need to get on top of maintanence big time. hopefully my similar symptoms will have a similar solution! im taking the car up to my dads flat driveway and dropping the oil, filter change, new plugs etc... fingers crossed! glad you sorted yours 1cal!!