right, as some of you may no , my mates vr was overfuelling all the way to the ring and back...on tickover it chuckjs out neat fuel...we have changeD the mf and checked and double checke d the wiring and coilpack..weve even swapped them for mine..

what else can it be??? it sounds very rough and the plugs are black...like no spark or too much fuel

idea's please

jim

Not sure how clever the ECU's on these are but on some other cars when the lambda sensor fails, closed loop fuelling reverts to a safe fuel map which is purposefully rich to protect the engine, almost like a "get you home mode". If you have a known good one to swap it out with, i'd start there.

tried unplugging the lambda , but no joy..the fuelling probs seem to be at low revs, as it still runs and pulss fine higher up.

im gonna chuck thge laptop on it again , and see if the earth/signal fault is still there, but the plug has been checked and double checked and rewired twice.

it all started after a track day, and after the car was stopped (hot)

we id orig find a broken/snapped afm wire on the plug..so we have swapped the afm for a good one, replaced the plugs and leads, and tested it with a good coilpack, but still the fault remains

would a dodgy ecu relay cause this problem...

or shall i dig out the multi meter and start taking volatges etc.

Best to see if that earth fault still exists first, but my thinking would be that if it was a severe MAF prob, it would just run terribly all the way through if at all. My second thought if it's even crap from cold through to warm is that air maybe entering after the MAF which is being picked up by the lambda which in turn is chucked a shed load of fuel in to compensate. Did you originally reset the ECU after repairing the MAF connector? it maybe that adaptions have picked up some bad habits which it can't shake. Always worth doing the easy stuff first!

right had the car back on the computer, its still showing the maf open /short circuit error.

can anyone supply me with a list of the air flow meter pinouts /colours/voltages and the ecu pinouts..

we need to have the car fixed by friday...

pm me or email me direct with any wiring diagrams you have.

does anyone also no if the maf wiring, goes to the fuse box/relay orr straight to the ecu, if its the later is it possible that the orig wiring fault has spiked the ecu? if so is there a easy way to tell.

thx jim

Can't say for 100% and sorry for the late reply but as a sensor it should be directly onto the ECU wiring loom, and should also be colour coded. As a basic wiring check do the continuity on the wires that you can identify and check any to earth. If all checks out ok, chances are a voltage spike has probably affected that portion of the ECU.

ah, well since my last post..aftera ecu reset we managed tpo get it running, then wheni t gets hot , it wont start without a bit of throttle, so we changed the throttle body and tryed again. but no difference, i then pulled the ecu relay and cleaned it, it now starts when hot.!!

so we are gonna replace the ecu relay, and go from there.it only seems to be a problem when the car has been run, so heat build up is affecting a part, so to that end the ecu relay is a possability, also when we popped the cover off the pcbon the back was corroded.

tell me about it, jim's been using the car today, and he said it now starts from hot , but idels slighty high even when warm, but a new ecu relay is on order from vw.. all ready for our trackday on saturday :)