Had my car down the vw dealers today, Diagnosing it.

Basically all electrical side of things are cool, other than a small split in the dizzy cap, so they moved on to a compression check,

:sick: 2,4 and 6 are all low on compression :sick:

Here is roughly how my print out looks

1; //////////////// 16 bar

2; ////// 11.8 bar

3; /////////////// 15.6 bar

4; /// 9.5 bar

5; /////////////// 15.5 bar

6; /////// 12.9 bar

Apparently plugs 2 and six where fouled up badly (only changed 200 miles ago) and plug 4 had some white residue on it. so with them stmptoms and the fact of the layout on the cylinders it led me to believe head gasket, Any ideas? The white residue also seems like a sign. But i then spoke to a garage in southgat and the man there that knows alot about vrs said he cant see it being head gasket due the layout of the low compression or something. The car also doesnt smoke any more only on start for about 30 seconds, Which then leads me to believe valves.

Has any one got any idea? sorry to always be asking ?'s just a bit lost.

this i s what im hoping its between. i know parts for each job are aroung 100, whats labour time like on these jobs, as for the head gasket one man said he wouldnt do it as the gearbox has to come off or something, is this true?

???? errr not as far as i know ..... gearbox aint gota come off to do head gasket but will to be proved wrong ..... and changin just the valve seals u can do with out takin the head off .... but if it is the head gasket is a bit of a pricy job depends where u go

I didnt think so either, just made another call. When i had the mot done the other day, the man done what i think is a sniffer test, he used the emission computer over the coolent, got me to rev the engine and said that all seemed ok?

Could valve seals cause low compression and powerless running??

Dont want to spend more money for it to turn even more sour,. the man at the garage im going to on monday said he doubts the head gasket but wil do a leakedge?? test??

A cracked head wouldnt affect three cylinders would it??

Sorry for so many ?'s, but im very worried my car is going to be a no go'er. :-(

hey mate, i can ask if they checked that, but how would they, wouldnt compression go down any way? like i say i have a leakedge test on monday, ould this show?? I dont see it being pistons or rings as there is no smoke really, doesnt ever come out when im driving. what do you mean by re-torquing tho mate, pretty new to cars so my knowledge is limited!! thanks for the reply and your time

all the bolts are meant to be tightened to a limit, like car torque. u need a torque wrench to do this.

try www.volkswagen.msk.ru its in russian but if u have some time u can download anything u need to know about the car. If u are new it helps by giving u a better understanding of the mechanics. The files are in english but the site is russian.

thanks andrew, very appreciated. it would probably be cheaper to fly you hear and put you up than the bill for the car too, lol. I have got a rough quote of 13 hours labour, and a approx price of about 650/700 to have the head gasket and valves done together, inlet, exhaust and valve guides. So i dont think thats too bad, just hope its nothing else.

would hate to pay them to open it up and its a no goer!!

Hvr6 its st albans i went too. Why what s up?

they are asking silly money on labour but luckily let me off £50 on the diagnostics.

Wayside changed my brake fluid Nov 2006 as part of big service, then I had small service last month, they said I need another brake fluid change, advice was that it was black... the car had done 1400 miles since the supposed change I'm saying they didnt do it Nov 2006, there is no way brake fluid would be black or even dirty after 1400 miles!!!

Having to get VW UK Customer Service invoved to get it done free of charge and the £ back for the big service in 06.

That's what I've been telling them mate off there again tomorrow morning! Was on the phone to VW Customer Service who have got in touch with the dealer, they sounded shocked so should get a result tomorrow. End of my full VW service history!