Car hesitating + throttle angle reading problem

My VR6 OBD 2 seems to be hesitating and slightly missing at low revs/part throttle, also backfires when opening the throttle after a certain amount of time, which correct me if i'm wrong sounds like overfuelling and fuel building up in the exhaust.

VAG-COM gives me a MAF error code saying 0553 31-00 Open circuit/Short to ground, this was a second hand maf that i replaced, but was told was working, but can i trust the error code to be accurate in pointing out the MAF? Actual values also show the air mass being measured at approx 11 - 12g/s at idle, this seems way too high doesn't it, usually about 2 - 3g/s?

Secondly, when checking actual values in vag-com and looking at the throttle position angle, with the pedal in normal position, the angle shows approx 3% open. When the pedal is fully depressed it shows 82.5% open, surely it should be 100% open, correct? What could be the cause of this problem?

Thanks

Can i ask with this fault did your emisions smell sweet ()due to the overfueling) and the car not feel as fast as it should? having problems with my car and the previouse owner said the car was overfueling. probally the same problem. If so where is the best place to buy a maf? thanks abd sorry for butting in on your thread.