mk1 cabby vr6 turbo?

Hi everybody

Been looking at this forum for a while and thought i would post a quick question!

I have a vr6 mk3 as a daily driver but am having to get rid as i now need my car for work so need a more economy! BUT I love the VR engine so much I have decided to convert my mk1 cabrio gti golf to a VR6! (imagine the sound with the roof down enough said!)

I was wondering if anyone had ever added a turbo to a mk1 VR conversion or if anyone knew if it is even possable!!??

Any help would be apreciated!!

Cheers

• 1 month later...

I know its going to be well good fun!!

The problem I have with charging it is that the charger wont fit between the engine and the chassis leg on a mk1 but a turbo might fit behind?

Unless I could fit an eaton chager and mount it more like a G60 accross the front of the engine?

Has anyone else fitted an eaton to a vr?

From what I know there will be a couple or 4 issues each way. May I also suggest you check a couple of the other owners clubs specific to mk1s. Also if you can actually look at a VRturbo or charged engine and a mk1 bay with a VR in it then that may show a solution.

The turbo will I think need to have firewall/bonnet mods to squeeze all the pipe work in. Intercooler wise is a made to order jobbie once you find space. Best bet is to put all ancillaries in the boot. Battery/waterbottle /grill/lights/etc etc.. Need every inch. Worth a go if you have the tools/time/fianance.

Chargerwise, although not personally done an Eaton charger there are issues with making them fit. It is asked regularly and the brackets and belts need to be made to order. Though of course this may have changed but they were not made for the vr lump..... If you can manage to shorten the manifolds and intakes then there may be the option to run the intake to a new vent or the likes in the wing. Though the lengths are important for pressure levels etc so a bit of checking on that may be worth while.

All of which mean work but if you have the engine out and are planning to do the swap then whats a little bit of extra work????? :-p

Obviously this is only as I understand it so everyone please feel free to prove me wrong as I would love to see & hear the final result.

Good luck and keep us posted on the progress

;)

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...