N reg vr6 wont idle ?? any ideas or can i do a fault code read ?

i just went to use my car , aint used it since yesturday morning and the thing wont idle ? never had a prob with it yet . i can keep it ticking over by keeping my foot on the acceclerater but as soon as i remove it it dies . i even let it warm right up but still no joy .

and ideas what it mite be and is there a way to do afault code read on it ??

cheers !

• 1 year later...

Mine is OBD1, coolant temp sender was a brand new one out of my old digi 8v mk2, same part no... Although makes no difference if you plug that in/unplug it. Intake air leak could be a possibility as I have deleted the carbon canister..... (Its a mk2 conversion)

mine does similar and stalls at random intervals yet i have no air leaks that i can find, only thing iffy is the throttle position sensor on side of tb only has one screw holding it in. (obd1 golf with rado tb)

mat i wouldnt worry about the carbon can as ive removed mine and never had any issues all the time ive had it done, and many others here can probably report the same thing. so long as you block the black pipe off and feed the clear one into the inner wing to vent it you should have no worried with that

Mine is a 96 OBD2,

Havent checked for leaks yet.... will do that today.

As for coolant temp sensor... its started AFTER i've changed the crack pipe and the 2 sender units on-top of the oil filter housing. i guess i could of banged a sensor unit somewhere?? is the green wire to the left of the sender units coolant temp??