I know i not been a member very long and i feel a bit of a plumb asking certain questions that are probably obvious answers to most on here. I am half lazy and half ingnorant when it comes to cars but would a suggestion of a comprehensive price list on parts. I know that there are many different prices for parts and quality of parts. Alot of people like myself run there cars on a budget, more so for me as mine is just a weekend toy.

I do try and look up cost for parts and stuff but i dont really know what i am looking at.

I am after a price for a complete timing chain kit for my VR plus sprokets etc and for idiots like me it would be nice to just click on a sticky that gives you pricing for common VR engine parts.

Sorry if there is already such a thread, my ignorence cant find it.

Regards

Sean. :)

i would suggest Sean that these are obtain from a main stealer anyway so the cost would (or should be) the same. have you found on this site where you can listen to a sound clip of rattling chains and compare the sound with yours. i had a chat with Jim about this at VW players and he said until it starts making a noise dont worry about it. my car has done 97k but i get no noise, having said that when they do start getting noisy then the chain guides are well and truly knackered, but im not sure of the wisdom of changing things just in case they are worn, because where do you stop?..........but of course this is just my opinion......................Dale......................and oh yea good idea.................. :-p

i would suggest Sean that these are obtain from a main stealer anyway so the cost would (or should be) the same. have you found on this site where you can listen to a sound clip of rattling chains and compare the sound with yours. i had a chat with Jim about this at VW players and he said until it starts making a noise dont worry about it. my car has done 97k but i get no noise' date=' having said that when they do start getting noisy then the chain guides are well and truly knackered, but im not sure of the wisdom of changing things just in case they are worn, because where do you stop?..........but of course this is just my opinion......................Dale......................and oh yea good idea.................. :-p

[/quote']

How are you fella.

I did read that thread and thankfully mine does not sound like that. I think i may worry to much, just dont want it going pop. Like you say where do you stop on re newing parts just for the sake of it. Mine has done 102K and it really does sound solid. Mind you i had a MK1 Granada Coupe when i was younger and that sounded solid..........until the chain snapped :$

Sean. :)

i am completely paranoid about my chains going but on vr's its more the guides which when worn may cause the chains to slip, but like you may change these when i hear any sort of noise at all, but at the mo cant hear anything at all so im trying not to think about it too much.................im fine mate thanks ive just ordered some coilovers from the group buy, so am looking forward to putting these on pre-"ring", hope you and family are fine..............(obviously including your VR!).................... :-p

Don't be paranoid about em going.........if they are gonna go they are gonna go, guides that is, so just enjoy the car. Mine's on 130k and is quiet. Just regular services should be ok. I do an oil and filter every 6 months or so.

As for part numbers Sean, just ask away. We all started somewhere. A few of us have ETKA and plus there is richievr who works for VW down souf.

You've met some of us so just ask

Don't be paranoid about em going.........if they are gonna go they are gonna go' date=' guides that is, so just enjoy the car. Mine's on 130k and is quiet. Just regular services should be ok. I do an oil and filter every 6 months or so.

As for part numbers Sean, just ask away. We all started somewhere. A few of us have ETKA and plus there is richievr who works for VW down souf.

You've met some of us so just ask

[/quote']

Thankyou Craig, i got so much i would like to do, its just knowing where to start. The only thing that really sticks out is the condition of the wheels. Referb or New?

i am completely paranoid about my chains going but on vr's its more the guides which when worn may cause the chains to slip' date=' but like you may change these when i hear any sort of noise at all, but at the mo cant hear anything at all so im trying not to think about it too much.................im fine mate thanks ive just ordered some coilovers from the group buy, so am looking forward to putting these on pre-"ring", hope you and family are fine..............(obviously including your VR!).................... :-p

[/quote']

Family i fine thanks Dale and the VR is getting a bit pi**ed off with me cleaning her but its got to be done. :-d I am in two minds whether to put coilovers on, i take it that lowers the car too. I like the way she rides and never been that keen on lowering cars.

Hope you had a good weekend, if you want a hand doing your coilovers just ask, i not very good but another pair of hands come in handy.

Sean (B)

my thinking was that as old as our cars are the top bushes would be shagged the springs have seen their best days long ago, and if you dont want it lowered you dont have to !. My front shocks are original, so its just a question of time before they go, and we are going to the ring, need i say more ?..........thanks for the offer sean its very generous but i should be ok, .............i spend about 2-4 hours every weekend cleaning mine, so your not alone..................obviously if you ever need a hand let me know i like getting my hands dirty......................... :-p

my thinking was that as old as our cars are the top bushes would be shagged the springs have seen their best days long ago' date=' and if you dont want it lowered you dont have to !. My front shocks are original, so its just a question of time before they go, and we are going to the ring, need i say more ?..........thanks for the offer sean its very generous but i should be ok, .............i spend about 2-4 hours every weekend cleaning mine, so your not alone..................obviously if you ever need a hand let me know i like getting my hands dirty......................... :-p

[/quote']

If you get stuck just ask, i got a van full of useless tools but you never know. I actually washed and polished the family car this weekend which was a novelty. It used to be my baby until i stumbled upon the VR. Its times like this that you wish you could start over ;) :-d