Hi,

I have a 95 VR6 Golf, OBD2.

I have only had it for about 6 weeks but is the second ive owned, it has been running REALLY well up until about 2 weeks back when it started to develop a very slight misfire, it was barely noticable but me being me being picky noticed it.

It has gradually been getting worse, dont have any issues starting it at all, first time every time hot and cold as you expect from a VR.

While it is cold, it runs faultlessly, smooth clean and strong although I never really 'push' it whilst it is cold for obvious reasons.

Last week I took it to VW for its 100k service then after it came back out I changed the plugs, leads, air filter, fuel filter and a couple of other bits (Because £350 doesnt cover those parts apparently!!).

Problem is the misfire is still there and slowly getting worse, I know it MAY be the coil pack, I have also heard about the lambda probe or maybe even the fuel pump relay or the pump itself.

I have had a camshaft sensor go on me before and it isnt the same this time.

I've had it on VAG-Com but nothing is coming up at all.

Does anyone have experience of the same problem or have a VERY good idea as to what it could be, Id rather not spend £150+ on a coil pack so im thinking about changing the lambda first then the pump relay, pump and last but not least the coil pack.

Can anyone help me with any other suggestions please?

Guest WadeVR6

I've just had a missfire problem. I had a crack in a little black box at the back of the engine bay. I put some tape on it and its semi working again lol.

The box is connect to the 'idle control valve'? (Two pipes come out of one end & a little on the other). It is just to the right of the Throttle Body when looking down into the engine bay. See if it has any cracks!

Ok,

Update.

I coated the pack in epoxy resin, only saw a couple of VERY SMALL cracks, nothing that I thought would cause an issue, got it back on the road again this morning and all is good apart from a very small hesitation as you push the accelerator down very gently, like the ECU is catching up with pedal push, sounds strange but that is the only way I can think to describe it.