I have an ODB1 engine with the 6 pin MAF, as i understand these changed over to 4 pin in November 93. I need to change my loom over to the 4 pin connector, I have managed to get hold of the wiring diagram with both maf's on, and it shows that for the 6 pin maf connects to a switch in the engine control relay, and the 4 pin maf connect to a switch in the fuel pump relay.

6 Pin MAF

1. Earth

2. Pin 16 on ECU

3. Pin 17 on ECU

4. Pin 59 on ECU

5. Switch on Engine Control Relay

6. No Connection

4 Pin MAF

1. Earth

2. Pin 16 on ECU

3. Switch on Fuel Pump Relay

4. Pin 17 on ECU

To connect the 4 pin maf to my harness I was thinking that it should be ok to swap a few of the wires so that they correspond with the connection on the 4 pin maf e.g. Pin 1 on 6pin maf goes Pin 1 on 4 pin maf, Pin 2 on 6 pin maf goes to Pin 2 on 4 pin maf, Pin 3 on 6 pin maf goes to pin 4 on 4 pin maf, and pin 5 goes to pin 3. Which then makes pin 4 redundant on 6 pin connector. Do you think if I do this I should then be able to run the 4 pin maf with my ecu.

I forgot to mention the reason that I'm doing this is because the maf for the charger is the 4 pin and the standard one is 6 pin.

I hope that I haven't made this too confusing, and hoping that someone can clarify my understanding on how this works.

Thanks in advance

Do you know why not as the pins are there and as far as I can see all the OBD1 ecu are the same until they changed over to the OBD2. I can see on the wiring diagram for the ecu pin 59 is still there it's just not used. So if I wire the 4 pin exactly the same as that later model, I can't see why it wouldnt work. Could you explain why it won't work and if there is a work around.

Cheers again

• 4 years later...